Using a CNC Machine With a CAD File

In summary, the individual is working on a project that requires the use of a CNC metal cutter and is using LibreCAD for designing. They are unsure about the coordinate points not changing when switching between millimeters and inches and whether or not the machine can specify which parts to cut first. They have never used a CAD program or CNC machine before and are seeking advice from those with experience. They have also taken the file to a metal shop where the programmer/machinist will determine the most efficient cutting sequence and adjust the file accordingly. The CAD file only contains the geometry of the finished part and further details such as cutting tools and sequence of movements are determined by the machine shop.
Fischer777
I'm working on a project that requires me to use a CNC metal cutter. I'm using LibreCAD to design the thing I need to have cut (it's a radio chassis). The wiki doesn't really offer much besides a general how-to-use, and after playing around on the program I'm wondering two things. First, switching between millimeters and inches doesn't yeild different coordinate points, rather, the point 3.25 says 3.25 whether in inches or millimeters, and I'm not sure if size is kept ambiguous until fabrication time or if it's a bug in the program (or me not knowing what I'm doing). Secondly, when the machine goes to cut the metal, it's probably a good idea to have the machine cut out the smaller holes in the middle than cut out the chassis; is there a way to specify in the program which parts the machine is supposed to cut first; or is that determined manually during fabrication? I've never used a CAD program before, or a CNC machine (in fact I've never worked with metal before), so any information from people who have done this would be great :)

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
"First, switching between millimeters and inches doesn't yeild different coordinate points"
If it's going to a CNC you shouldn't have no worry if it's in metric or standard. As long as your file is in a format your shop can read, they'll figure out whatever system they want to work in .

"is there a way to specify in the program which parts the machine is supposed to cut first"
The programmer/machinist at the shop will determine the most efficient sequence to cut the part. If you have a concern about the sequence just ask to talk to the programmer or someone in charge of the shop. Any shop in busniuss should be able to figure out how they want to cut and stay within your set tolerance though, it is their job to cut metal.

Likes 1 person
I am assuming you are running this on your own CNC? Is that correct?

If so, can you edit the CNC file?

If you can edit the CNC file put a G20 code in the header for inches or G21 for metric. This doesn't change the numbers in the file, it tells the machine whether the numbers in the file are in inches or mm.

G20 and G21 codes are like a switch. The controller will stick with that setting for the rest of the file and possibly until it sees another G20/G21 code.

Likes 1 person
Okay, thanks for the information guys. It isn't my own CNC machine, it's at a metal shop in my town. I took the file I had to the guy and who basically said the same thing, that the file is put in the machine and then scaled based on a known dimension of some part of the cutout.

Your CAD file is (presumably) just the geometry of the finished part, maybe with some information on tolerances etc.

Figuring out the operations needed to cut the part on a machine tool is a separate process. Some of it will be specific to the actual make and model of CNC machine that is being used. As well as the geometry, it needs to specify the cutting tools used, and the exact sequence of movement of the tools. For example you might want to make a rough cut to remove material quickly, and then a finer cut to get a good surface finish.

The machine shop should look after all those details, but they might need to ask you a few questions about exactly what you want to produce.

1. How do I convert my CAD file to be compatible with a CNC machine?

To use a CNC machine with a CAD file, the file must be converted to a compatible format such as G-code or DXF. Some CAD software programs have built-in converters, or you can use a separate software program specifically designed for CAD to CNC conversion.

2. Can I use any type of material with a CNC machine?

CNC machines can work with a variety of materials, including wood, plastic, metal, and even foam. However, the specific capabilities and limitations of the CNC machine will depend on its design and the type of tooling used.

3. How do I set up the CNC machine to match my CAD design?

Before using a CNC machine, you must set up the machine to match your CAD design. This involves loading the CAD file into the machine's software and adjusting the machine's settings, such as the cutting depth, speed, and tool path. It may also require physically securing the material to the machine's worktable.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when operating a CNC machine?

Yes, operating a CNC machine can be dangerous. It is important to read the machine's manual and follow all safety guidelines. This may include wearing protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, and being cautious when loading and unloading materials and tools.

5. Can I make changes to my CAD design while the CNC machine is running?

No, it is not recommended to make changes to your CAD design while the CNC machine is running. This can cause errors in the final product and potentially damage the machine. It is best to stop the machine, make any necessary design changes, and then restart the machine with the updated file.