1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using a triple integral to find volume

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    I'm supposed to find the volume of a solid bound by co-ordinate planes x=0,y=0, z=0 & surface z=1-y-x^2 and am having a lot of difficulty doing so. f(x,y,z) is not given so I am assuming it is one. I figure I should then take the triple integral dzdydx. Then, I made a 2D sketch for the xy plane to determine limits of integration. I took the ∫dz from 0 to 1-y-x^2 then ∫dy from 0 to 1-x, then ∫dx from 0 to 1, but I keep getting a negative volume so I must be doing something wrong... Please help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

you want the volume under the surface f(x,y)=1-y-x^2 so find the limits in the x,y plane and compute the integral
    \int dx dy f(x,y)
  4. Apr 23, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And what did you see when you made a 2D sketch for the xy plane to determine the limits of integration? The plane z= 1- y- x^2 crosses the plane z= 0, when 0= 1- y- x2 or y= 1- x2. Together with with x= 0, y= 0, that is half of a parabola. For each x, y goes from 0 to 1- x2, not 1-x.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?