Using acceleration to find tension (concept problem)

In summary, the equation for the tension in the rope would be: T = (P - m1*gsingθ - m2*gsingθ) / (m1 + m2)
SkyOfMyOwnLight
Homework Statement
Two boxes of masses M1= 2kg and M2 = 1 kg are pulled up a frictionless ramp by a force P=25N. Calculate the tension in the rope connecting the boxes. Theta is 40 degrees.
Relevant Equations
F = m* a
Hi guys, I feel that this question has a very straightforward answer but I am just not quite grasping it. The first picture is the homework question, the second is the free body diagram I drew.

I know that a = F/m and I know the solution should be:

a = (P - m1*gsinθ - m2*gsinθ) / m1 + m2

What I don't understand is why isn't tension (T) included in the above equation? It's clearly along the x-axis with the others and P is used, so why not tension as well?

The equation that seems logical to me to use is:

a = (T + P - m1*gsingθ - m2*gsingθ ) / m1 + m2

but this is wrong. Can you help me understand why T doesn't belong?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• media_35d_35d097fe-2d94-4020-bd39-a8d0afbab034_image.jpg
    media_35d_35d097fe-2d94-4020-bd39-a8d0afbab034_image.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 184
  • 59079164_324783478212518_6131272209693409280_n.jpg
    59079164_324783478212518_6131272209693409280_n.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 279
Physics news on Phys.org
The tension acts on both objects not just on one of them. It is an internal force if you consider the system of the two objects.

Likes SkyOfMyOwnLight
If you we’re doing a force balance on each body individually, the tension T would come into each of the force balances. What would those two force balance equations be?

SkyOfMyOwnLight said:
Problem Statement: Two boxes of masses M1= 2kg and M2 = 1 kg are pulled up a frictionless ramp by a force P=25N. Calculate the tension in the rope connecting the boxes. Theta is 40 degrees.
Relevant Equations: F = m* a

Hi guys, I feel that this question has a very straightforward answer but I am just not quite grasping it. The first picture is the homework question, the second is the free body diagram I drew.

I know that a = F/m and I know the solution should be:

a = (P - m1*gsinθ - m2*gsinθ) / m1 + m2

What I don't understand is why isn't tension (T) included in the above equation? It's clearly along the x-axis with the others and P is used, so why not tension as well?

The equation that seems logical to me to use is:

a = (T + P - m1*gsingθ - m2*gsingθ ) / m1 + m2

but this is wrong. Can you help me understand why T doesn't belong?

Thank you in advance!
Hello, @SkyOfMyOwnLight .

:welcome:

The given solution treats the two boxes along with the connecting rope as one object.

By the way: the sum of the masses, m1 + m2, should be enclosed in parentheses if you mean for it all to be in the denominator as in the following.

a = (P - m1⋅g⋅sinθ - m2⋅g⋅sinθ) / (m1 + m2)

This acceleration can then be used to determine the tension, T .

If you want to use your second image for free body diagrams,

you are missing that the rope also exerts a tension, T, on the box of mass, m2 . (Yes, then what you have would be two free body diagrams in one image.) You get two equations, one for each box.

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or any other type of object that is being pulled or stretched. It is the force that keeps an object in equilibrium or motion.

2. How can acceleration be used to find tension?

Acceleration can be used to find tension by using Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By knowing the mass of the object and its acceleration, the tension can be calculated by rearranging the equation to solve for force.

3. What are the key factors to consider when using acceleration to find tension?

The key factors to consider when using acceleration to find tension are the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, and the direction of the tension force. It is important to ensure that all the values are in the same units and that the direction of the tension force is taken into account when calculating the net force.

4. Can tension be negative?

Yes, tension can be negative. In physics, negative tension is referred to as compression. This occurs when the object is being pushed or squeezed instead of being pulled or stretched. Negative tension can still be used in calculations, but it represents a different type of force than positive tension.

5. How does friction affect tension calculations?

Friction can affect tension calculations by adding an additional force acting on the object. This force opposes the motion of the object and reduces its acceleration. In order to accurately calculate tension, the force of friction must be taken into account and subtracted from the net force acting on the object.