1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using integrals to prove volume of a pyramid

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    the first question i have is if i set it up the iteration right. The I've simplified to one quarter of the pyramid, so the value c is actually 1/2 the base of the whole pyramid. and h is the height of the pyramid. (the pinnacle of the pyramid is along the z axis)

[tex]0\leq z\leq -\frac{h}{c}x+h[/tex]

[tex]0\leq y\leq -\frac{c}{h}z+c[/tex]

[tex]0\leq x\leq c[/tex]

If all that is correct, then ill show my integration work and you can tell me where i went wrong. I don't know how to place lower and upper limits on integrals using Latex, so just use the limits from above.

[tex]V=4\int \int \int dydxdz[/tex]
    in respect to y
    [tex]=4\int \int (-\frac{c}{h} z+c)dzdx[/tex]
    in respect to z
    [tex]=4\int [-\frac{c}{2h} (-/frac{h}{c} x+h)^{2} +c(-\frac{h}{c} x+h)]dx[/tex]
    finally in respect to x
    [tex]=4(-\frac{c^{2} h}{6} +ch)[/tex]

[tex]=-\frac{2c^{2} h}{3} +ch)[/tex]
    substitute in .5b for c
    [tex]=-\frac{b^{2} h}{6} +\frac{bh}{2}[/tex]

this is obviously not anything close to the formula for the volume of a pyramid, and is completely non sensical. according to this, only very small values of b and h will produce a positive volume. where did i go wrong? I skipped quite a few steps for the sake of typing space, so if your not sure where i got this or that from ill show you the more detailed work where the problem might lie.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2
    I think you made a mistake with the last integral
  4. Mar 30, 2010 #3
    Yep, you made a mistake
    actually if the second term is b^2, you get the answer you need
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook