• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Using Continuous Uniform MGF to find E(X)

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Continuous Uniform MGF is [itex]M_{x}(z) = E(e^zx) = \frac{e^{zb} - e^{za}}{zb - za}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dz}M_{x}(z) = E(X)[/itex]

Using the Product Rule

[itex]\ U = e^{bz} - e^{az}[/itex]

[itex]\ V = (zb - za)^{-1}[/itex]

[itex]\ U' = be^{bz} - ae^{az}[/itex]

[itex]\ V' = -1(zb - za)^{-2}(b - a)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dM}{dz} = UV' + VU'[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dM}{dz} = (e^{bz} - e^{az})(-1(zb - za)^{-2}(b - a)) + ((zb - za)^{-1})(be^{bz} - ae^{az})[/itex] evaluated at z = 1

[itex]\ (e^{b}-e^{a})(-1)(b - a)^{-2}(b - a) + (b - a)^{-1}(be^{b} - ae^{a})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{e^{a} - e^{b} + be^{b} - ae^{a} }{b - a}[/itex]

The answer is [itex]\frac{b + a}{2}[/itex]

I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me where i'm going wrong. Thanks.

Answers and Replies

You didn't define your terms. What is MGF and what is E(X). These may be standard, but I don't know them.

Moment Generating Function and Expected Value of the Continuous random variable X

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Continuous Uniform MGF is [itex]M_{x}(z) = E(e^zx) = \frac{e^{zb} - e^{za}}{zb - za}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d}{dz}M_{x}(z) = E(X)[/itex]

Using the Product Rule

[itex]\ U = e^{bz} - e^{az}[/itex]

[itex]\ V = (zb - za)^{-1}[/itex]

[itex]\ U' = be^{bz} - ae^{az}[/itex]

[itex]\ V' = -1(zb - za)^{-2}(b - a)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dM}{dz} = UV' + VU'[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dM}{dz} = (e^{bz} - e^{az})(-1(zb - za)^{-2}(b - a)) + ((zb - za)^{-1})(be^{bz} - ae^{az})[/itex] evaluated at z = 1

[itex]\ (e^{b}-e^{a})(-1)(b - a)^{-2}(b - a) + (b - a)^{-1}(be^{b} - ae^{a})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{e^{a} - e^{b} + be^{b} - ae^{a} }{b - a}[/itex]

The answer is [itex]\frac{b + a}{2}[/itex]

I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me where i'm going wrong. Thanks.
You need to evaluate M'(z) at z = 0, not at z = 1! Of course, you need to worry about the fact that your formula for M(z) does not apply right at z = 0, so you need to look at limits as z → 0, and use l'Hospital's rule, for example. BTW: the formula you wrote for EX is wrong; it should be
[tex] EX = \left. \frac{d M(z)}{dz} \right|_{z = 0} = M'(0).[/tex] For ##z \neq 0## the derivative of M does not have any particular relation to EX.

However, that would be doing it the hard way. From
[tex] M_X(z) = E e^{zX} = 1 + z \,EX + \frac{z^2}{2} E X^2 + \cdots, [/tex]
we see that we can get the moments of X from the moment-generating-function---that's why it is so named---so all you need is the series expansion of M(z) around z = 0 (that is, the Maclaurin series). That is most easily obtained by just getting the series expansion of the numerator, then dividing by z.

Last edited: