Using Determinant Identities to solve

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the given matrix is equal to (b-c)(c-a)(a-b). The determinant is used to show that (b-c)(c-a)(a-b) can be written as (bc^2) - (ba^2) - (ac^2) + (ab^2) + (ca^2) - (cb^2). Another way to prove this is by using determinant identities and simplifying the equation. Ultimately, it is concluded that stating that (b-c)(c-a)(a-b) = (bc^2) - (ba^2) - (ac^2) + (ab^2) + (ca^2) - (cb
MMhawk607
Sorry for the format, I'm on my phone.

Lets say the matrix is

| 1 1 1 |
| a b c |
| a^2 b^2 c^|

Or
{{1,1,1} , {a, b,c} , {a^2, b^2,c^2}}

Show that it equals to
(b-c)(c-a)(a-b)

I did the determinant and my answer was
(bc^2) - (ba^2) - (ac^2) + (ab^2) + (ca^2) - (cb^2)

This is the same thing as the answer but multiplied out and it is hard to just factor the answer into what we're supposed to prove. So is there any other way, I assume using the determinant identities, to easily get (b-c) (c-a) (a-b)
Or is multiplying them out and showing that it's the same as my Determinant enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, just stating that (b-c)(c-a)(a-b)= (bc^2) - (ba^2) - (ac^2) + (ab^2) + (ca^2) - (cb^2) is sufficient?

You could say $$\left|\begin{matrix} 1 & 1 & 1 \\ a & b & c \\ a^2 & b^2 & c^2 \end{matrix}\right|
= \left|\begin{matrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ a & b-a & c-a \\ a^2 & b^2-a^2 & c^2-a^2 \end{matrix}\right| $$
## = (b-a)(c-a)(c+a) - (c-a)(b-a)(b+a)##. It's easy to get the answer given from there.

What are determinant identities used for?

Determinant identities are used to simplify and solve systems of linear equations. They can also be used to find the inverse of a matrix and calculate the area of a parallelogram or volume of a parallelepiped.

What is the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix is a numerical value that represents certain properties of the matrix, such as its size, shape, and orientation. It is calculated by taking the sum of the products of the elements in each row or column, according to a specific pattern.

How do you use determinant identities to solve a system of linear equations?

To use determinant identities to solve a system of linear equations, you must first express the equations in matrix form. Then, you can use the determinant identity to find the value of the variables in the system. This method is known as Cramer's rule.

Can determinant identities be used for any size of matrix?

Yes, determinant identities can be used for matrices of any size, as long as they are square matrices (same number of rows and columns). The size of the matrix will determine the number of terms in the determinant identity and the number of equations needed to solve the system.

What are some examples of determinant identities?

Some common determinant identities include the Rule of Sarrus, the Laplace expansion, and the cofactor expansion. These identities can be used to solve systems of linear equations, find the inverse of a matrix, and calculate the area or volume of geometric shapes.