1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using double integration in finding volume of solid bounded by curves?

1. Aug 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question is "Use double integration to find the volume of the solid bounded by the cylinder x2+y2=9 and the planes z=1 and x+z=5"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to draw the curves and the solid that i formed is a cylinder with a truncated slant like this So my integration equation is:

3-3√(9-x2)-√(9-x2)-x+4 dy dx and the answer that i got is 36pi

I want to check my answer

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Usually we expect to see the steps so we don't have to work out the problem ourselves to see if you have any mistakes. That way if the answer is wrong we have some idea where you went astray. Since this is your first post I will tell you that everything looks OK, both your setup and answer.

4. Aug 21, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Fwiw, there is way to the answer that avoids integration (allowing use of pi r2 for area of circle). Note that the sloping face can be cut in half by the plane z=5, and the volume above that rotated to fill the gap below z=5 in the original solid. At least, you could use this to check your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted