1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Using Fourier Transforms to solve Definite Integrals with Limits 0 to Infinity

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    1. Using Fourier Transforms to solve Definite Integrals with Limits 0 to Infinity

I'm trying to understand how to use Fourier Transforms to solve Definite Integrals with limits from 0 to Infinity.
    I understand how to use Fourier Transforms to solve indefinite integrals, but I believe there is supposed to be a much simpler way to solve these definite integrals without working out the entire indefinite solution.

2. Relevant equations
    X(j0) = Integral from -Infinity to Infinity : x(t)dt
    x(0) = Integral from -Infinity to Infinity: X(jw)dw

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF! Here's a hint: Think about even and odd time functions.

4. Mar 8, 2010 #3
    [tex]\displaystyle\int^\infty_0 2te^-^a^t\cos(t)\,dt = ?}[/tex]

I'm not entirely sure how to manipulate this.. the [tex]e^-^a^t[/tex] makes it so the function is neither even nor odd anymore.. even if I pulled the even part out to rewrite the function so its integrated from -infinity to infinity I'm unsure about what to do with the odd piece.

5. Mar 8, 2010 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yikes! I don't know what to do with this either. Sorry I jumped in...

6. Mar 8, 2010 #5
    I appreciate the thought! Thanks! :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook