Using gmail interface for another web mail

In summary, Ric was looking for a way to manage his work emails through his Gmail account, but was concerned about mixing personal and work emails. He was cautioned against this practice and advised to either tolerate the work email interface or request an improvement from IT. His supervisor had suggested using the "forward to Gmail" feature, but Ric wanted to clarify any potential issues. He was also informed of a Gmail setting that allows for checking emails from other accounts, which may be a better solution than forwarding.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi,

I have an e-mail for work, but I really don't like the web interface. I decided to forward every e-mail to my gmail account. However, once on gmail, if I reply toany e-mail, my reply will be sent by my gmail account instead of the one I use for work. Do you know know if there is a way around?

Thanks,
Ric

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't have a solution but more of a caution. Don't mix your private email and work email streams. Doing so means your employer can see your private stuff and if that's not the case could fire you for managing work email outside of work systems.

• Informative
Likes diogenesNY, MikeeMiracle, russ_watters and 1 other person
dRic2 said:
I have an e-mail for work, but I really don't like the web interface.
But that is what your employer pays you to tolerate. You can always resign.
Alternatively, make a list of the current system disadvantages and file a request with IT for an improved interface.

Well, my supervisor suggested me to use this "forward to gmail" stuff, because he does the same thing... I don't think they are very strick about it. But thank you very much for the information. I will ask for clarification.

Have you looked at "Settings > See all settings > Accounts and Import > Send mail as:"?
Maybe this will help you

• Informative
Likes dRic2, russ_watters and Wrichik Basu
Gmail has a setting "Check Mail From Other Accounts" that will show those other emails in your Inbox. That may or may not get around the legal problem of mixing personal with company email. If it works, it is far better than forwarding mail.

• Informative
Likes dRic2 and hmmm27

1. How do I use the Gmail interface for another web mail?

To use the Gmail interface for another web mail, you will need to set up email forwarding from your other web mail account to your Gmail account. This can usually be done in the settings or options section of your other web mail account. Once email forwarding is set up, your emails from the other web mail account will automatically be received in your Gmail inbox.

2. Can I use the Gmail interface for multiple web mail accounts?

Yes, you can use the Gmail interface for multiple web mail accounts by setting up email forwarding for each account to your Gmail account. You can also label and organize your emails from different accounts in Gmail to keep them separate.

3. Will using the Gmail interface for another web mail affect my original web mail account?

No, using the Gmail interface for another web mail will not affect your original web mail account. Your emails will still be received in your original account and you can choose to keep or delete them. Gmail only acts as a platform for receiving and organizing your emails from different accounts in one place.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Gmail interface for another web mail?

There are no major limitations to using the Gmail interface for another web mail. However, some features or settings from your original web mail account may not transfer over to Gmail. It is best to check with your original web mail provider for any limitations or discrepancies.

5. Is there a cost to using the Gmail interface for another web mail?

No, there is no cost to using the Gmail interface for another web mail. Gmail is a free email service provided by Google and can be used to manage emails from multiple accounts without any additional charges.