1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Lagrangian to derive the equation of motion

1. Feb 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    derive the equation of motion of a mass-spring-pulley system using lagrange's equations. A mass m is connected to a spring of stiffness k, through a string wrapped around a rigid pulley of radius R and mass moment of inertia, I.

2. Relevant equations
    kinetic energey
    T = 1/2 (m)(x_dot) + 1/2 (I)(theta_dot)
    potential energy
    V = 1/2 k(R)(x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    20170212_201908.jpg
    sorry for the sideways picture... dont know why its doing that. but please help homework is due tomorrow morning! thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2017 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is your Lagrangian? Without writing it down, you will not be able to derive the equations of motion.
    It seems your generalized coordinates are x and θ. Is there a constraint relating the two?

4. Feb 12, 2017 #3
    ts the second to last equation on the picture, with the partial derivatives to the respect of x. so ∂T/∂x⋅ - ∂T/∂x + ∂V/∂x = Q

and i believe theres a onstraint of x = rθ

5. Feb 12, 2017 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's not the Lagrangian. The Lagrangian is L = T - V. What you have is the equation for generalized coordinate x. You need to write another such equation involving θ and apply the constraint relating x and θ to get a single equation of motion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted