1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using laplace transforms to solve IVPplease check work thanks

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y' - 3y = 13cos(2t)

y(0)=1

2. Relevant equations
    y' = sY(s) - y(0)

3. The attempt at a solution

heres all my work.. i am confused as to why its not matching book solution.. i think (geussing) that I probably messing up the decomposition step..thanks for any help with this
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwJqUg33PgREVjdEN250WXVTaldod3NublhVc1pEdw
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    sorry almost forgot to include this..book solution is:

y(t) = 4e^3t - 3cos(2t) + 2sin(2t)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You made a couple of algebra mistakes, one of them due to an omission of parentheses where they were needed.

4. Mar 12, 2012 #3
    thanks for the help..yup i see it: (As+B)(s-3) makes all the difference, giving me C=3, B=4 and A = -3.....now matches book solution.. but have follow-up question..

If I start solving equation with what I think is a fully decomposed denominator, when denominator could actually be decomposed further, then the answer I get should be identical to the one solved with fully decomposed denomiator, right? so, even though i probably had to solve with more steps because deenominator wasnt fully decomposed, the answers shouls still be the same, true?

5. Mar 12, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, you should ultimately get an equivalent answer. The two results may not be expressed in exactly the same way, but they will be equal to each other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook