ODE: Solving using Laplace Transform

In summary, the given differential equation y''+λ^2y = cos(λt) with the boundary conditions y(0) = 1 and y'(π/λ) = 1 can be solved using Laplace transforms and inverse transforms. The solution is y = (1/2λ)tsin(λt) + cos(λt) - (1+π/2λ)sin(λt)/λ.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Solve:
[tex]y''+λ^2y = cos(λt), y(0) = 1, y'(π/λ) = 1 [/tex]
where t > 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I start off by taking the Laplace transform of both sides. I get:

[tex]L(y) = \frac{s}{(s^2+λ^2)^2}+\frac{sy(0)}{s^2+λ^2}+\frac{y'(0)} {s^2+λ^2}[/tex]

Now take the inverse Laplace transform

[tex] y = \frac{1}{2λ}tsin(λt) + y(0)cos(λt)+\frac{y'(0)}{λ}sin(λt)[/tex]

since y(0) = 1, we get

[tex] y = \frac{1}{2λ}tsin(λt) +cos(λt)+\frac{y'(0)}{λ}sin(λt)[/tex]Now this is where I get stuck. I have the boundary condition for y'(pi/λ)=1, but I'm not sure how to use it in this scenario.

If I take the derivative of y, then I get an expression with a y'(0) term in it that I'm not sure how to use...

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
If I take the derivative of y, then I get an expression with a y'(0) term in it that I'm not sure how to use...
Well, you end up with the solution of ##y'(0)## when you do that, no? If you put that back into your expression for ##y(t)##, isn't that the solution to your DE?

Likes RJLiberator
Remember that ##y'(0)## is just a constant.

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, beautiful, this was the hint I needed.

So I am capable of taking the derivative of y, since y'(0) is just some constant.

[tex] y'(t) = \frac{1}{2λ}[sin(λt)+λtcos(λt)]-λsin(λt)+y'(0)cos(λt) [/tex]

Solving this for y'(π/λ) = 1 shows that y'(0) = -1-π/(2λ)

And thus, I have my determined y.

1. What is the Laplace Transform and how is it used to solve ODEs?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. In the context of ODEs, it can be used to solve differential equations by transforming the equation into an algebraic equation that can be solved more easily. Once the solution is found, the inverse Laplace Transform can be applied to obtain the solution in the time domain.

2. What types of ODEs can be solved using Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform can be used to solve linear constant coefficient ODEs with initial conditions. This includes first-order, second-order, and higher-order ODEs.

3. Can Laplace Transform be used to solve non-constant coefficient ODEs?

No, the Laplace Transform method is limited to solving ODEs with constant coefficients. For non-constant coefficient ODEs, other methods such as variation of parameters or power series may be used.

4. What are the advantages of using Laplace Transform to solve ODEs?

The Laplace Transform method can be useful for solving ODEs with complicated initial conditions, as it simplifies the process of finding a solution. It also allows for the use of algebraic operations, making it easier to solve higher-order ODEs. Additionally, the Laplace Transform can be used to solve ODEs with discontinuous or piecewise functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transform to solve ODEs?

One limitation of using Laplace Transform is that it can only be applied to linear ODEs. It also requires the initial conditions to be known, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the inverse Laplace Transform may be difficult to compute for some functions, making it challenging to obtain the solution in the time domain.