Using magnetic energy and causing degradation of the field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
quantumfoam
Messages
133
Reaction score
4
Hi guys! I was wondering something about magnetic energy and well, I stumbled on to this. If there was a way to use a magnetic field's energy without influencing the actual magnet, would the degradation of the field increase at a faster rate?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
quantumfoam said:
Hi guys! I was wondering something about magnetic energy and well, I stumbled on to this. If there was a way to use a magnetic field's energy without influencing the actual magnet, would the degradation of the field increase at a faster rate?

Could you maybe give an example to illustrate what you are asking? The question is not very clear yet.

If you have a permanent bar magnet mounted to the edge of a desk, and you wave a coil of wire in front of the end of it, you will induce a voltage in the coil. That doesn't physically alter the bar magnet...
 
This seems to be another of those misunderstandings that people have ... that a magnetic field is stored energy that you can use up

Dave