1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using power to find velocity (a car meets a hill)

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car encounters an inclined plane

Given- Weight of car in N (6500), velocity on the flat surface (22.5 m/s), power of the engine (78000), incline of the hill (8.1 degrees)

Want to find- velocity on the hill (power and restistive forces remain constant)

2. Relevant equations

P = Fvcos(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

I found F by plugging in the power and velocity. I then subtracted the gravitational force due to the hill from this number to get the resultant force. plugged this in to P = Fvcos(theta) and got a number bigger than the original...

urgent help would be greatly appreciated since HW is due in 8 minutes, but i'm more worried about the concept for the test tomorrow. thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

The engine power is constant so the car is traveling at constant speed so that resistance is constant.

When going up hill - the car starts increasing its gravitational potential energy - and if the car's power output is constant, then the car's kinetic energy must be decreasing.
  4. Oct 12, 2008 #3
    okay, so if i have to use kinetic energy, does that need i need to find the mass of the car (1/2mv^2)? that doesnt seem right...
  5. Oct 12, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

edit: Ok I think I have it this time

Your flat ground situation is just P = FV. Move it around to get F = P/V. This is the force coming from the engine; it does not change. When you get on the hill, gravity applies a force against the motor as Wsin(theta). With this new net force, you find the new velocity.

Flat ground:
    P = FV (start with this)
    F = P/V (solve for force)

P = (F + gravity)V

P is the same, F you find out, gravity is Wsin(theta), V is your answer. They are ADDED together because F and gravity represent DRAG as opposed to the force you are applying.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  6. Oct 12, 2008 #5
    i tried this also, maybe i made a calculation error...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?