Using relativity: speed of electron in electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the speed and displacement of an electron accelerated by a voltage of 100 kV and hitting a homogeneous electric field of 1 kV/m after 30 ns. The equations used include the equations for electric and magnetic fields, as well as Newton's laws. The solution involves calculating the initial speed of the electron and then using equations to find the speed and displacement after 30 ns. It is also mentioned that the displacement in three-dimensional space can be calculated using additional equations.
skrat

Homework Statement

Electron, accelerated by voltage 100 kV, hits homogeneous electric field 1 kV/m. How fast is the electron after 30 ns and how big is its offset from original direction?

Homework Equations

##\vec{E}=(0,E,0)##
##\vec{v_0}=(v_0,0,0)## therefore ##u_{0}^{\mu }=(c\gamma _0,\gamma_0 \vec{v})##
##\mathfrak{F}^{\mu }=(\frac{e\vec{E}\vec{u}}{c},e(\vec{E}+\vec{v}\times \vec{B}))##

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, to calculate the initial speed of electron:
##T=mc^2(\gamma -1)=eU##
##\gamma =\frac{mc^2+eU}{mc^2}##
##\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}=\frac{mc^2}{mc^2+eU}##
##v_0=c\sqrt{1-\frac{m^2c^4}{(mc^2+eU)^2}}=0,55c##

Now let's write Newtons law...:
##\frac{\partial u^{(0)}}{\partial \tau }=\frac{eE}{mc}u^{(2)}=\alpha u^{(2)}## for ##\frac{eE}{mc}=\alpha ##
##\frac{\partial u^{(2)}}{\partial \tau }=\frac{eE}{mc}u^{(0)}=\alpha u^{(0)}##
and
##\frac{\partial u^{(3)}}{\partial \tau }=\frac{\partial u^{(1)}}{\partial \tau }=0##

First two give me differential equation ##\frac{\partial^2u^{(0)} }{\partial \tau ^2}=\alpha ^{2}u^{(0)}##. Using ##u^{(0)}=Acosh(\alpha \tau )+Bsinh(\alpha \tau )## and initial conditions:

##u^{(0)}=c\gamma _0cosh(\alpha \tau )## and ##u^{(2)}=c\gamma _0sinh(\alpha \tau )##
Now here is the part I am having troubles with:
I believe that ##u^{(0)}## is also equal to ##c\gamma ## where ##\gamma ## is different that ##\gamma _0## since the speed is different.
If that is true, that ##u^{(0)}=c\gamma _0cosh(\alpha \tau )=c\gamma## so ##\gamma _0cosh(\alpha \tau )=\gamma##

If I integrate ##u^{(0)}=\frac{\partial x^{(0)}}{\partial \tau }## ... ##x^{(0)}=\int_{0}^{\tau }\gamma _0cosh(\alpha \tau )d\tau =\frac{\gamma _o}{\alpha }sinh(\alpha \tau )## but ##x^{(0)}=ct##.

This now gives me ##\alpha \tau =arcsinh(\frac{t\alpha }{\gamma _0})## and to go back to equation ##u^{(0)}=c\gamma _0cosh(\alpha \tau )=c\gamma## ... for calculated ##\alpha \tau ## this gives me almost identical gammas ##\gamma _0=\gamma ## which would mean that the velocity after 30 ns is practically the same...

I don't believe that. Can anybody help me understand where I made a mistake? The velocity can't be the same... No way! It has to be larger than initial! At least that's what i think...
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed does not change much. Just consider the extreme case: what is the largest potential difference any particle could pick up in 30 ns? Well, in 30ns, a particle cannot travel more than 9m, which corresponds to 9kV, much less than your 100kV. In addition, your electron is not moving with the speed of light in that direction - its initial velocity in that direction is zero! Its displacement will be smaller by far. A nonrelativistic calculation gives 8cm, or just 80eV. Nothing compared to 100keV.

Hi, you are almost ready! Your solutions look good. I got
[tex]u^0=\gamma_0 c \cosh(\alpha \tau), \quad u^2=\gamma_0 c \sinh(\alpha \tau)[/tex]
and also
[tex]x^0=c t=\frac{\gamma_0 c}{\alpha} \sinh(\alpha \tau).[/tex]
Now just use
[tex]\cosh(\alpha \tau)=\sqrt{1+\sinh^2(\alpha \tau)}.[/tex]
This gives
[tex]u^2=c \alpha t, \quad u^0=c \sqrt{\gamma_0^2+\alpha^2 t^2},[/tex]
and finally
[tex]v^2=c \frac{u^2}{u^0}=\frac{c \alpha t}{\sqrt{\gamma_0^2+\alpha^2 t^2}}.[/tex]
Now you can calculate easily the rest.

Ok, that makes sense. =)

One more question... How do I now calculate it's displacement from original direction?

If you know v(t) in the direction of the electric field, this should be no problem.

aaaa, ok! I get it now. :)

THANKS to both of you!

What if I find myself doing this for three dimensional space? For example:
##\vec{E}=(Ecos\varphi ,Esin\varphi ,0)##, ##\vec{B}=(0,0,B)##

Than:

##\vec{E}\vec{u}=u^{(1)}Ecos\varphi +u^{(2)}Esin\varphi ## and
##\vec{E}+\vec{u}\times \vec{B}=(eEcos\varphi +Bu^{(2)},eEsin\varphi -Bu^{(1)},0)##

so

##\frac{\partial u^{(0)}}{\partial \tau }=\frac{eE}{mc}(cos\varphi +u^{(2)}Esin\varphi )##,

##\frac{\partial u^{(1)}}{\partial \tau }=\frac{1}{m}(eEcos\varphi +eBu^{(2)})##,

##\frac{\partial u^{(2)}}{\partial \tau }=\frac{1}{m}(eEsin\varphi -eBu^{(1)})## and

##\frac{\partial u^{(3)}}{\partial \tau }=0##

Now.. ##\frac{\partial^2 u^{(0)}}{\partial \tau ^2}=\frac{eE}{m^2c}(eE+eB(cos\varphi u^{(2)}-sin\varphi u^{(1)}))##

How am I supposed to solve that? :/

Last edited:

1. How does relativity affect the speed of an electron in an electric field?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of an electron in an electric field will be affected by both its own mass and the strength of the electric field. As the electron's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass will increase, making it more difficult to accelerate further.

2. Can relativity explain why the speed of light is a constant?

Yes, relativity provides an explanation for why the speed of light is constant. According to the theory, the speed of light is the maximum possible speed in the universe and is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This is due to the relationship between space and time, as described by the famous equation E=mc^2.

3. How does the speed of an electron change in a strong electric field compared to a weak one?

In a strong electric field, the speed of an electron will increase at a slower rate compared to a weak electric field. This is because the increased mass of the electron due to relativity will make it more difficult to accelerate to higher speeds. However, the electron will still continue to increase in speed as long as the electric field is present.

4. Does relativity affect the behavior of electrons in other types of fields, such as magnetic fields?

Yes, relativity can also affect the behavior of electrons in other types of fields, including magnetic fields. Just like in an electric field, the mass of the electron will increase as it approaches the speed of light in a magnetic field, making it more difficult to accelerate further.

5. Is the speed of an electron in an electric field always limited by the speed of light?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of an electron in an electric field will always be limited by the speed of light. This is because the mass of the electron will continue to increase as it approaches the speed of light, making it impossible to accelerate any faster.