1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using relativity: speed of electron in electric field

1. Nov 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Electron, accelerated by voltage 100 kV, hits homogeneous electric field 1 kV/m. How fast is the electron after 30 ns and how big is its offset from original direction?

2. Relevant equations
    ##\vec{E}=(0,E,0)##
    ##\vec{v_0}=(v_0,0,0)## therefore ##u_{0}^{\mu }=(c\gamma _0,\gamma_0 \vec{v})##
    ##\mathfrak{F}^{\mu }=(\frac{e\vec{E}\vec{u}}{c},e(\vec{E}+\vec{v}\times \vec{B}))##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly, to calculate the initial speed of electron:
    ##T=mc^2(\gamma -1)=eU##
    ##\gamma =\frac{mc^2+eU}{mc^2}##
    ##\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}=\frac{mc^2}{mc^2+eU}##
    ##v_0=c\sqrt{1-\frac{m^2c^4}{(mc^2+eU)^2}}=0,55c##

Now let's write Newtons law...:
    ##\frac{\partial u^{(0)}}{\partial \tau }=\frac{eE}{mc}u^{(2)}=\alpha u^{(2)}## for ##\frac{eE}{mc}=\alpha ##
    ##\frac{\partial u^{(2)}}{\partial \tau }=\frac{eE}{mc}u^{(0)}=\alpha u^{(0)}##
    and
    ##\frac{\partial u^{(3)}}{\partial \tau }=\frac{\partial u^{(1)}}{\partial \tau }=0##

First two give me differential equation ##\frac{\partial^2u^{(0)} }{\partial \tau ^2}=\alpha ^{2}u^{(0)}##. Using ##u^{(0)}=Acosh(\alpha \tau )+Bsinh(\alpha \tau )## and initial conditions:

##u^{(0)}=c\gamma _0cosh(\alpha \tau )## and ##u^{(2)}=c\gamma _0sinh(\alpha \tau )##
    Now here is the part I am having troubles with:
    I believe that ##u^{(0)}## is also equal to ##c\gamma ## where ##\gamma ## is different that ##\gamma _0## since the speed is different.
    If that is true, that ##u^{(0)}=c\gamma _0cosh(\alpha \tau )=c\gamma## so ##\gamma _0cosh(\alpha \tau )=\gamma##

If I integrate ##u^{(0)}=\frac{\partial x^{(0)}}{\partial \tau }## ..... ##x^{(0)}=\int_{0}^{\tau }\gamma _0cosh(\alpha \tau )d\tau =\frac{\gamma _o}{\alpha }sinh(\alpha \tau )## but ##x^{(0)}=ct##.

This now gives me ##\alpha \tau =arcsinh(\frac{t\alpha }{\gamma _0})## and to go back to equation ##u^{(0)}=c\gamma _0cosh(\alpha \tau )=c\gamma## ... for calculated ##\alpha \tau ## this gives me almost identical gammas ##\gamma _0=\gamma ## which would mean that the velocity after 30 ns is practically the same...

I don't believe that. Can anybody help me understand where I made a mistake? The velocity can't be the same.... No way! It has to be larger than initial! At least that's what i think...
    Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The speed does not change much. Just consider the extreme case: what is the largest potential difference any particle could pick up in 30 ns? Well, in 30ns, a particle cannot travel more than 9m, which corresponds to 9kV, much less than your 100kV. In addition, your electron is not moving with the speed of light in that direction - its initial velocity in that direction is zero! Its displacement will be smaller by far. A nonrelativistic calculation gives 8cm, or just 80eV. Nothing compared to 100keV.

4. Nov 8, 2013 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi, you are almost ready! Your solutions look good. I got
    [tex]u^0=\gamma_0 c \cosh(\alpha \tau), \quad u^2=\gamma_0 c \sinh(\alpha \tau)[/tex]
    and also
    [tex]x^0=c t=\frac{\gamma_0 c}{\alpha} \sinh(\alpha \tau).[/tex]
    Now just use
    [tex]\cosh(\alpha \tau)=\sqrt{1+\sinh^2(\alpha \tau)}.[/tex]
    This gives
    [tex]u^2=c \alpha t, \quad u^0=c \sqrt{\gamma_0^2+\alpha^2 t^2},[/tex]
    and finally
    [tex]v^2=c \frac{u^2}{u^0}=\frac{c \alpha t}{\sqrt{\gamma_0^2+\alpha^2 t^2}}.[/tex]
    Now you can calculate easily the rest.

5. Nov 8, 2013 #4
    Ok, that makes sense. =)

One more question... How do I now calculate it's displacement from original direction?

6. Nov 8, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you know v(t) in the direction of the electric field, this should be no problem.

7. Nov 8, 2013 #6
    aaaa, ok! I get it now. :)

THANKS to both of you!

8. Nov 8, 2013 #7
    What if I find myself doing this for three dimensional space? For example:
    ##\vec{E}=(Ecos\varphi ,Esin\varphi ,0)##, ##\vec{B}=(0,0,B)##

Than:

##\vec{E}\vec{u}=u^{(1)}Ecos\varphi +u^{(2)}Esin\varphi ## and
    ##\vec{E}+\vec{u}\times \vec{B}=(eEcos\varphi +Bu^{(2)},eEsin\varphi -Bu^{(1)},0)##

so

##\frac{\partial u^{(0)}}{\partial \tau }=\frac{eE}{mc}(cos\varphi +u^{(2)}Esin\varphi )##,

##\frac{\partial u^{(1)}}{\partial \tau }=\frac{1}{m}(eEcos\varphi +eBu^{(2)})##,

##\frac{\partial u^{(2)}}{\partial \tau }=\frac{1}{m}(eEsin\varphi -eBu^{(1)})## and

##\frac{\partial u^{(3)}}{\partial \tau }=0##

Now.. ##\frac{\partial^2 u^{(0)}}{\partial \tau ^2}=\frac{eE}{m^2c}(eE+eB(cos\varphi u^{(2)}-sin\varphi u^{(1)}))##

How am I supposed to solve that? :/

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted