Using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to prove all real values for a, b, and theta

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
sam0617
Messages
18
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Use the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to prove that for all real values of a, b, and theta (which ill denote as θ),
(a cosθ + b sinθ)2 ≤ a2 + b2



Homework Equations


so the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is | < u,v>| ≤ ||u|| ||v||



The Attempt at a Solution



I'm having a difficult time figuring out what is my u and my v. Sorry for the stupid question.

Thank you for any guidance.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is <u,v> and ||u|| in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]??

Can you rewrite the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]??
 
micromass said:
What is <u,v> and ||u|| in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]??

Can you rewrite the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]??

<u,v> in R2 would be u1v1 + u2v2 I believe..

and ||u|| in R2 is √u2

I'm terribly sorry but I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. I know and I also don't want to be spoon fed the answer.
 
sam0617 said:
<u,v> in R2 would be u1v1 + u2v2 I believe..

Good

and ||u|| in R2 is √u2

No, that would be [itex]\sqrt{u_1^2+u_2^2}[/itex].

Anybody, do you recognize something like [itex]u_1v_1+u_2v_2[/itex] in your OP??
 
micromass said:
Good



No, that would be [itex]\sqrt{u_1^2+u_2^2}[/itex].

Anybody, do you recognize something like [itex]u_1v_1+u_2v_2[/itex] in your OP??

I see that a2 + b2 would be
a12a12+b12b12
 
micromass said:
Can you write out

[tex]<u,v>^2\leq \|u\|^2\|v\|^2[/tex]

??

Just write out what <u,v> and ||u|| mean...

Sorry, I think you're losing patience with me but I did what you asked and here it is.
Please correct me if I'm incorrect.

<u,v>2≤∥u∥2∥v∥2
= (u1v1+u2
v2)(u1v1+u2
v2) ≤ √(u12+ u22) √(v12 + v22)
 
Well, thanks anyway. I got help from the wonderful people at yahoo answers. Thank you for trying to work with me.