1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the definition of the partial derivative

1. Mar 6, 2009 #1
    I need some help with this partial derivative. I can do it by rules, but when I try and do it out using the definition of the partial derivative, I run into problems.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the partial derivative of sqrt[x]y^2 - 4xy with respect to x

3. The attempt at a solution
    Going through while holding a variable constant and using basic derivative rules, I was able to get:

(y^2) / 2sqrt[x] - 4y

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

hi
    As long as that is
    (y^2) / (2.sqrt[x]) - 4y
    looks good to me...

4. Mar 6, 2009 #3
    I got that answer by using derivative rules, and not by the definition. When you plug in x+h for x you get sqrt[x+h].. and thats where I'm getting stuck.

I come out getting this:

(4hy + (sqrt[x+h] - sqrt[x])y^2)/h

5. Mar 6, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's getting close to bedtime, so I don't have time to check your work up to this point. Assuming that it's correct up to this point, split the expression above into the sum of two terms, like so:
    4hy/h + (sqrt(x + h) - sqrt(x))*y
    [tex]\frac{4hy}{h} + \frac{y^2(\sqrt{x + h} - \sqrt{x})}{h}[/tex]

It'll be easy to take the limit as h goes to zero for the term on the left, but the one on the right needs a trick, namely to multiply it (the quotient on the right) by 1 in the form of
    [tex]\frac{\sqrt{x + h} + \sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x + h} + \sqrt{x}}[/tex]

That should give you something that you can take the limit on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook