1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the Frobenius Method - 2nd order DE

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    Using the Frobenius Method -- 2nd order DE

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y"+(1/sinx)y'+((1-x)/x^2)y=0

Find the indicial equation and forms of two linearly independent expansions about x=0. Don't find the coefficents.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution The singular points at n*pi are regular, and thus I need to use the method of Frobenius. I normally don't have a problem using this method, but I am a bit thrown off by the (1/sinx) term. I tried rewriting the DE as (x^2)*sin(x)*y"+(x^2)*y'+sin(x)*(1-x)y=0, thinking that it might be a good idea to write sin(x) as an expansion. But then I end up with a double summation, and I'm not sure how to get the indicial equation out of it first of all. And I am not sure what it means by "find the forms of the two linearly independent expansions..." Anyway, I attached a PDF showing my work and where I got stuck. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2011 #2
    Re: Using the Frobenius Method -- 2nd order DE

Never mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook