1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the Residue Theorem for Real Integrals

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]I=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} { dx \over {5x^2+6x+5}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The residue theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't use the residue theorem since the denominator has real zeros. How should I solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes you can use the residue theorem, you just need to "go around" the poles, i.e. deform your usual semi-circular contour around the poles. Have a look http://www.nhn.ou.edu/~milton/p5013/chap7.pdf" [Broken] and in particular at second 7.6.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Sep 14, 2011 #3
    Maybe you should double-check that business about the real zeros.

5. Sep 14, 2011 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good catch, I didn't even think to look!

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5
    oops. From now on, I'll never try to guess root. Quadratic equation, we meet again.

Thanks guys.

7. Sep 15, 2011 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

There is also the quaint old "complete the squares" technique:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{5x^2+6x+5} = \frac{1}{5} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{ (x^2+\frac{6}{5}x+\frac{9}{25}) + (1 - \frac{9}{25} ) }[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{1}{5} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{ (x+\frac{3}{5})^{2} + (\frac{4}{5})^{2} } . [/tex]

I believe quadratic polynomials in the denominator never require complex-analytic techniques, though you certainly aren't forbidden to use them...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook