Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using young's double slit experiment

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    can it be possible that using young's double slit experiment or by any metod on converging and magnifying the intensity of microwaves it can give same effect as LASER

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2
    Re: Maser

Consider how small those slits would need to be... that said... if you COULD do that, yes, but why? a LASER vs. a MASER is a matter of wavelength along the EM spectrum.

4. Apr 13, 2010 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The first devices that performed "amplification by stimulated emission of radiation" did in fact operate in the microwave band. Masers came before lasers.

5. Apr 13, 2010 #4

In double-slit experiments?!

6. Apr 13, 2010 #5

i meant better than laser in the way of reaching it's maximum functionality in the time period less then the laser and might have more efficiency/intensity then laser.

7. Apr 13, 2010 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Boy, how does the functionality of an interference device relate to the functionality of a laser? One is a passive bit of geometry and the other is an amplifying device.

8. Apr 13, 2010 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I have a mongraph on my shelves, from the 60s, entitled "Optical Masers" by O S Heavens

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook