1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

V-Belt Drives & coefficient of friction

1. Sep 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. A pulley 150 mm diameter is driven directly by an electric motor at 250 revs min–1. A V-belt is used to transmit power from this pulley to a second pulley 400 mm diameter against a load of 200 Nm.

The distance between the centre of the pulleys is 600 mm, the included angle of the pulley groove = 40°, the coefficient of friction between the belt and pulley is 0.4 and the ultimate strength of the belt is 8 kN.

What would be the effect of the following factors on the maximum power which can be transmitted (give reasons for your answer):

(i) increasing the coefficient of friction

(ii) increasing the included angle of the pulley groove.

2. Relevant equations

F1 / F2 = eµθ/ sinα

3. The attempt at a solution

Increasing the coefficient of friction would increase the power up to a certain point. graph 1 shows this. however i'm having some trouble explaining why this is.

CoF_Power.png

Increasing the included angle of the pulley groove will have the effect of decreasing the power. again i have a graph which shows this, but cannot really explain why.

inside_angle_power.png

can anyone advise?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What's coeff. of friction as a function of angle?

4. Oct 1, 2015 #3
    not really sure, would that be F1 / F2 = eµθ/ sinα

but solved for sinα?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted