Power transmitted to the second pulley

In summary, the setup includes a 150 mm diameter pulley driven by an electric motor at 250 revs min–1, with power transmitted through a V-belt to a second 400 mm diameter pulley against a load of 200 Nm. The distance between the pulleys is 600 mm, the included angle of the pulley groove is 40°, the coefficient of friction is 0.4, and the ultimate strength of the belt is 8 kN. To calculate the actual power transmitted to the second pulley, the angle of lap for each pulley is determined and the angular speed of the motor is used. The tension in the belt is also considered, with the maximum tension being limited to half
Big Jock
A pulley 150 mm diameter is driven directly by an electric motor at
250 revs min–1. A V-belt is used to transmit power from this pulley to a
second pulley 400 mm diameter against a load of 200 Nm.
The distance between the centre of the pulleys is 600 mm, the included
angle of the pulley groove = 40°, the coefficient of friction between the
belt and pulley is 0.4 and the ultimate strength of the belt is 8 kN.

Calculate the actual power transmitted to the second pulley.

So far I have
Angle of lap of small pulley= 2.722 radians
Angle of lap of the large pulley= 3.561 radians
Angular speed= 8 1/3pi
Driver speed = 250 revs min-1 = 25pi/3 rad s-1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice start - can you describe the operation of the setup in terms of energy?

I believe I have worked it out now and the answer should be 1963kW. Is that correct?

If that answer is correct Simon and I know the tensions is the tight and the slack side of the belt, how would I Calculate the power which can be transmitted if the maximum
tension in the belt is limited to half of the ultimate strength of the
belt? I am a bit confused with that part and can't find any relevant info or examples to compare against...

So was my answer I quoted wrong Simon?
Also still struggling with question in #4 I read the links you sent but didn't seem to help me or I have missed something along the line.

I didn't do the math - the idea was to provide you with something to compare with, so you can check for yourself.
In general, I won't do the calculation - but if you show me your reasoning I can see if what you did makes sense.

I calculated the speed of the second pulley and multiplied it against the torque to get the power, which was the answer I quoted. Now from what I I have read I believe that to be true.
If that is the case how do I set about tackling --the power which can be transmitted if the maximum
tension in the belt is limited to half of the ultimate strength of the
belt?
Find this very confusing but I may be staring at the correct route just need nudged in the right direction.

How did you handle the friction?

If the belt tension is not allowed to go above a certain value - what does that tell you about how to run the motor?

to get the power I used power = torque x angular velocity. I used 200Nm x the speed of the large pulley. Would that be correct or have I just calculated the power in the whole system??
Now tension in the tight side must be 8kN and using the 2.722 angle of lap I got a figure for the tension in the slackside.
Would this be correct for the original tight and slack side tensions. Think I can take it from there if it is...

Last edited:
Well - is the calculated belt tension too high or too low as it is?

How do I find this out?? As I am completely lost now...

Did you not just calculate belt tension above?
Are you not provided with a maximum tension figure?

Worked it all out Simon I think many thanks for you help

Great stuff :)

Likes 1 person
Hey, I'm currently working on the same paper.

If I calculate the Torque in the slack part of the belt (T2), using the angle of lap for the small pulley, would this be correct to calculate the power when using half of the ultimate strength of belt?

1. What is "power transmitted to the second pulley"?

The power transmitted to the second pulley refers to the amount of energy that is transferred from the first pulley to the second pulley in a mechanical system. This power is typically measured in watts and is used to determine the efficiency of the system.

2. How is the power transmitted to the second pulley calculated?

The power transmitted to the second pulley can be calculated by multiplying the torque applied to the first pulley by the rotational speed of the pulley. This calculation is based on the equation P = Tω, where P is power, T is torque, and ω is angular velocity.

3. What factors affect the power transmitted to the second pulley?

The power transmitted to the second pulley can be affected by various factors such as the size and speed of the pulleys, the tension in the belt connecting the pulleys, and the friction between the pulleys and the belt. Other factors such as the material and design of the pulleys can also play a role.

4. How does the power transmitted to the second pulley impact the overall efficiency of a system?

The power transmitted to the second pulley is a crucial factor in determining the efficiency of a mechanical system. If the power transmitted is too low, it can result in a loss of energy and decrease the overall efficiency of the system. On the other hand, if the power transmitted is too high, it can put unnecessary strain on the system and also reduce efficiency.

5. How can the power transmitted to the second pulley be optimized?

To optimize the power transmitted to the second pulley, it is important to consider the factors that affect it and make adjustments accordingly. This can include using pulleys of appropriate size and materials, maintaining proper tension in the belt, and reducing friction between the pulleys and the belt. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help optimize the power transmission in a system.