Valid and Invalid interconnections

• Thread starter marsupial
  • Start date
  • Tags
    circuit
In summary, the first circuit is invalid because the voltage drop on the left totals 14V and on the right totals 16V, and they have to be the same between any two terminals. The second circuit is valid because the 8V, 6V, 4V, and 12V sources are in a symmetrical arrangement and the current source is balanced.
marsupial

Homework Statement

My question is about the following circuit:
https://ibb.co/hWnb9v

According to the answer, it is an invalid circuit as the voltage drop on the left totals 14V and on the right totals 16V, and they have to be the same between any two terminals. I understand that it has to be so, but it raises many questions for me:

Could you also compare the bottom and top as well, so that would be 30V (8V, 10V, 12V) compared to 10V across the top (6V and 4V), so it would also be invalid from that comparison? And what about just the left side - there you have 6V and 8V next to each other. Is that also similarly invalid?

What about this circuit: https://ibb.co/g7fJNF I know it is valid, but there you have 3 different voltage sources next to each other with a current source, and they are considered as a whole but valid. I just don't fully understand the application of the concept, why in one scenario it is invalid and in another valid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution as the answer was posted online but I do not understand why it is so in one instance but not another.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the "UPLOAD" button below to post images directly in the thread.
2.jpg

marsupial said:
Could you also compare the bottom and top as well, so that would be 30V (8V, 10V, 12V) compared to 10V across the top (6V and 4V), so it would also be invalid from that comparison? And what about just the left side - there you have 6V and 8V next to each other. Is that also similarly invalid?
Only the outermost loop containing four voltage sources (8V, 6V, 4V, 12V) makes this circuit invalid.
If the 8V source were 10V instead, the circuit would be valid.

To be valid, a circuit has to satisfy KVL in all the loops and KCL at all the nodes. Check this for both the circuits.

Likes berkeman and marsupial
Thank you, that makes so much more sense. I was wondering how to embed images too :-) I had tried in the post but it didn't work.

1. What is the definition of a valid interconnection?

A valid interconnection refers to a connection between two or more elements that meets all necessary requirements and standards for operation. This includes proper physical, electrical, and functional connections.

2. How can I determine if an interconnection is valid?

The best way to determine if an interconnection is valid is to consult applicable standards and guidelines for the specific elements being interconnected. Additionally, conducting tests and inspections can also help ensure the validity of an interconnection.

3. What are some common causes of invalid interconnections?

Invalid interconnections can be caused by a variety of factors, including faulty equipment, incorrect wiring or connections, inadequate testing, and failure to follow industry standards and guidelines.

4. What are the potential risks of using invalid interconnections?

Using invalid interconnections can result in equipment malfunction, electrical hazards, and data loss. It can also lead to costly repairs, downtime, and safety hazards for individuals using the interconnected systems.

5. How can I prevent invalid interconnections?

To prevent invalid interconnections, it is important to thoroughly research and understand the standards and guidelines for interconnecting specific elements. Proper testing, inspections, and maintenance can also help ensure the validity of interconnections. It is also crucial to regularly update and follow safety protocols to minimize the risks of using invalid interconnections.