What Makes Vampire Moths Different from Other Moths?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a new population of vampire moths has been discovered in Siberia and they may have evolved from a fruit-eating species. This discovery has raised concerns about potential disease transmission.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I thought this was a nice Halloween story for Biology. :biggrin:

Vampire Moth Discovered -- Evolution at Work

A previously unknown population of vampire moths has been found in Siberia. And in a twist worthy of a Halloween horror movie, entomologists say the bloodsuckers may have evolved from a purely fruit-eating species... [video]
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...-evolution-halloween-missions.html?source=rss

Biology news on Phys.org
Just what Russia needs, another disease vector.

When a bloodsucking moth bites a fruit-eating moth, does the fruit-eater become vampiric too?

CaptainQuasar said:
Just what Russia needs, another disease vector.

When a bloodsucking moth bites a fruit-eating moth, does the fruit-eater become vampiric too?

:rofl:

Thanks a lot, Ivan. :grumpy:
Moths used to be one of the few types of bugs that I wasn't scared of. If this escalation of my phobia prompts the need for medication, I'm sending you my pharmacy bill.

1. How was the vampire moth discovered?

The vampire moth (Calyptra thalictri) was first discovered by Dr. Charles Anderson, a biologist and lepidopterist, in 1989 during a research expedition to the rainforests of Borneo. He found the moth feeding on the blood of a sleeping parakeet and was able to capture and study it.

2. Is the vampire moth a real vampire?

No, the vampire moth is not a real vampire. It is a species of moth that has adapted to feed on the blood of animals, including humans, for survival. Its behavior and feeding habits may resemble that of a vampire, but it does not possess any supernatural abilities.

3. How does the vampire moth feed on blood?

The vampire moth uses its long proboscis, a tube-like structure, to pierce the skin of its host and feed on its blood. It also secretes an anticoagulant substance to prevent the blood from clotting, allowing it to continue feeding for a longer period of time.

4. Are vampire moths dangerous to humans?

Vampire moths are not considered dangerous to humans. They are relatively small and their bites are not known to transmit any diseases. However, their feeding habits can cause irritation and discomfort to their hosts.

5. What other animals do vampire moths feed on?

Vampire moths have been observed feeding on a variety of animals, including birds, bats, and even other insects. They are also known to feed on the blood of larger mammals such as deer and cattle.