1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Van de graaff generator as a current source

1. Nov 19, 2014 #1
    I know that van de graaff generator is a high voltage generator, i was wondering though if we can use it as a current source, if we get any resistor, connect the negative terminal to the generator "if the generator generates negative charge " then ground the positive terminal, then any charge that appears on the sphere will be immediately pulled to ground, creating a current, using simple formulae we can derive the current, is that feasible or not?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sure, it's feasible as far as I can see but it is a HUGE waste of electricity to do that since the amount of current you'll get is tiny vs the amount you have to use to get it.

4. Nov 19, 2014 #3
    Yea i know, i calculated it, and the efficiency was extremely low

5. Nov 19, 2014 #4
    Just wanted to know if it would work, gonna use it to measure how much time does my generator need to reach maximum voltage

6. Nov 19, 2014 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't get how you could do that.

7. Nov 19, 2014 #6
    My plan is by grounding the generator and measuring the current in the wires i can use it to know the time to reach the maximum voltage, can't write the formula now because i am using the mobile app

8. Nov 19, 2014 #7
    Assuming I=const the formula is simply t=Vmax⋅C/I

9. Nov 19, 2014 #8
    I don't know yet if I is constant, but theoretically, it should be

10. Nov 19, 2014 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I still don't get it. If you ground the wires, or run the output of the generator through a resistor, you won't GET any voltage on the sphere. I think you must be talking about something that I'm not following.

11. Nov 20, 2014 #10
    That's the whole idea, i dont need any voltage, by grounding the sphere, the generator became a current source, so i measure the current in the wire, or my case i will connect a high resistance and measure the voltage across it because the current will be low and hard to measure.
    The maximum voltage of a van de graaff generator is 3*10^6*radius(in meter), and the voltage on the sphere is kQ/r where K is coulomb's constant
    Q=I*t and we're done

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook