Variable AC (0 to 240) source how to take fixed DC (110 or 220)

In summary: Is that what you are using? or are you asking if one is available?An isolated power supply will work well.
rajeshputta
sir,

i am looking for fixed DC (110VDC and 220VDC) from my variable AC source (0 to 220V).
please support me.

rajesh.p

Engineering news on Phys.org
rajeshputta said:
fixed DC (110VDC and 220VDC) from my variable AC source (0 to 220V).
Buy separate fixed DC output sources.

How much power? How about some real specifications, and some ideas you might have had. What are you really trying to do. Some context makes it easier to come up with ideas.

At first glance, it seems difficult to get 110VDC from 0V AC, but I might be missing something.

Why do you expect us to do more work than you are willing to do. I already spent more time on it than you spent posting your question.

meBigGuy said:
How much power? How about some real specifications, and some ideas you might have had. What are you really trying to do. Some context makes it easier to come up with ideas.

At first glance, it seems difficult to get 110VDC from 0V AC, but I might be missing something.

Why do you expect us to do more work than you are willing to do. I already spent more time on it than you spent posting your question.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thank you for your support on my topic,
equipment input supply 240V,50Hz,1ph, output 0 to 220VAC is variable dimmer source available, using this source i want produce fixed type at out put section 110,220VDC &3 to 5Amp.
here we have used rectifier bridge for make convert of AC to DC source,
i looking here need 110V and 220V dc it is for our safety to test the components those DC levels only.
(while i testing time i struggle to set the desire voltage, some times this variable nob get increase or decrees is happens, due to i facing failure our components at testing time)
i expecting any circuit is available for desire voltages select?
if available please help me.

rajesh.p

I've seen people put an isolation transformer after a variac and simply rectify and filter. Be sure to use fuses that are rated for HV DC. Common AC fuses arc badly when attempting to break DC.

Actually, Bystander nailed it. Buy two DC power supplies and switch between them. Are you trying to do something that won't provide?

Mike_In_Plano said:
I've seen people put an isolation transformer after a variac and simply rectify and filter.
The main reason they use isolation transformer is probably to eliminate/reduce potential problems with DC premagnetization current.

The isolation transformer is for safety. Given that an AC neutral ties back to ground, There's no means of attaching the rectified + or - DC to ground without either fireworks, or an isolation transformer. Folks who design offline power equipment regularly keep the transformer / variac combination upstream. I used to keep a 10 kW pair upstream with a breaker bar on the variac because my wrists and forearms weren't up to turning the dial.

Function is to "serve" and to "protect". Protection role/safety increase of isolation transforners is obvious, as already explained here. I was referring to their advantage in service with rectifier circuit topologies.

rajeshputta said:
is variable dimmer source available,

Is that what you are using? or are you asking if one is available?

A Variac, also known as "Adjustable transformer" or "slider" , will work well for you with a rectifier
but an everyday household lamp dimmer will not..

I agree with others - you should buy an isolated power supply or use an isolation transformer.
Variac doesn't isolate the neutral wire and folks get into trouble using one with a bridge . In a US system, earthing either side of the DC bypasses half the bridge.. making sparks and smoke.

1. What is the purpose of a variable AC (0 to 240) source?

A variable AC (alternating current) source is used to provide a range of voltages, from 0 to 240 volts, for powering electrical devices. This allows for flexibility in the amount of voltage needed, depending on the specific requirements of the device.

2. How does a variable AC source work?

A variable AC source works by converting the input voltage, typically from a power outlet, into an alternating current that can be adjusted to different levels. This is done through a combination of transformers, diodes, and other electronic components.

3. Can a variable AC source be used to power devices that require fixed DC (direct current) voltages?

Yes, a variable AC source can be used to power devices that require fixed DC voltages by using a rectifier or converter to convert the AC voltage into a fixed DC voltage. This allows for the use of a single power source for multiple devices with different voltage requirements.

4. How do you take a fixed DC (110 or 220) voltage from a variable AC source?

To take a fixed DC voltage from a variable AC source, a rectifier or converter can be used to convert the AC voltage into a DC voltage. The output of the rectifier or converter can then be adjusted to the desired fixed DC voltage of 110 or 220 volts.

5. What are the benefits of using a variable AC source for powering devices?

One of the main benefits of using a variable AC source is its flexibility. It allows for a wide range of voltages to be provided, making it suitable for a variety of devices with different voltage requirements. Additionally, using a variable AC source can save space and reduce costs, as it eliminates the need for multiple fixed DC power supplies for different devices.