Variation method (Quantum Mech.)

In summary, the conversation was about using the variational method to find an approximate ground-state wave function for a quantum particle moving in 1D with a potential energy function of V(x) = C|x|^{3}. The person asking for help had attempted the solution using \psi = Ae^{-ax^{2}}, and asked for clarification on their work. The response reminded them that they were meant to do the assessed work on their own, but also acknowledged that discussing problems and asking for clarification is allowed. The conversation ended with the person asking for help closing the thread.
T-7
Hi,

Here's the problem:

Homework Statement

Quantum particle moving in 1D. Potential energy function is [tex]V(x) = C|x|^{3}[/tex]. Using the variational method, find an approx. ground-state wave function for the particle.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using [tex]\psi = Ae^{-ax^{2}}[/tex], I find that

[tex]A = \left(\frac{2a}{\pi}\right)^{1/4}[/tex]

Then,

[tex]<H> = <T> + <V> = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}+C|x^{3}|[/tex]

[tex]<T> = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}A^{2}\left( -2a\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-2ax^{2}} dx + 4a^{2}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}x^{2}e^{-2ax^{2}} dx \right)[/tex]

which I work out to be

[tex]<T> = \frac{\hbar^{2}a}{2m}[/tex]

For the potential energy component, I state that

[tex]<V> = CA^{2}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-ax^{2}} |x|^{3} e^{-ax^{2}} dx = 2CA^{2} \int_{0}^{+\infty} x^{3}e^{-2ax^{2}} dx[/tex]

which I find to be

[tex]<V> = \frac{CA^{2}}{4a^{2}} = ... = \frac{C}{2a\sqrt{2a\pi}}[/tex]

And thus

[tex]<H> = \frac{\hbar^{2}a}{2m} + \frac{C}{2a\sqrt{2a\pi}}[/tex]

Minimising (diff. H wrt. a and set to zero) I obtain

[tex]\left(\frac{3Cm}{2\hbar^{2}\sqrt{2\pi}}\right)^{2/5}[/tex],

but this (substituted back into the expression for <H> above) produces a rather ugly looking expression, which makes me suspicious that I have made a mistake somewhere down the line.

Can anyone see where (or if) I am going wrong?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dr Hooley intended you to do the assessed work on your own. ;)

Anony-mouse said:
Dr Hooley intended you to do the assessed work on your own. ;)

Whilst we are intended to work through the exercises ourselves, as far as I know we're encouraged to discuss all the problems, and the lecturer has been willing to take questions himself on any of the set problems. I've not reproduced my working in detail here for anyone to copy, nor am I asking for detailed working in reply. It's against this forum's policy to do your homework for you.

However, if you're under the impression that 'starred' Qs can't be discussed at all, I'll ask my tutor for clarification. Consider the thread closed.

Last edited:

1. What is the variation method in quantum mechanics?

The variation method is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to approximate the ground state energy of a quantum system. It involves varying a trial wavefunction and finding the minimum energy of the system through optimization techniques.

2. How does the variation method work?

The variation method works by starting with a trial wavefunction, which is a mathematical representation of the system, and then varying its parameters to find the minimum energy of the system. This is done through the use of optimization algorithms such as the gradient descent method.

3. What are the advantages of using the variation method?

The variation method allows for a more accurate determination of the ground state energy compared to other approximation techniques. It also allows for the inclusion of more complex systems and interactions, making it a versatile tool in quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any limitations to the variation method?

One limitation of the variation method is that it requires a good initial trial wavefunction in order to obtain accurate results. It also becomes increasingly computationally expensive for larger and more complex systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of the variation method in quantum mechanics?

The variation method has been used in various fields, such as chemistry and material science, to study the behavior of atoms, molecules, and solids. It has also been applied in the development of quantum algorithms for quantum computers.