Variation of parameters problem, very BIG, but i think i'm right so far Diff EQ

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult problem worth one point, and the speaker is unsure of how to solve it. They mention using a formula from Lagrange to find a particular solution to the inhomogeneous equation. The formula involves finding the Wronskian of two linearly independent solutions and using integrals to find the solution.
mr_coffee
OKay everyone, this is a big f'ing problem (to me anyways) and its only worth 1 point! But I'm doing it anyways. So here was my attempt, everything seems to be working out like it should but look at what u1 came out too, what am i going to do with that mess? Also do u see any mistakes? Thanks!
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/6803/lastscan0rh.jpg
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/2782/lastscan22bs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That IS a lot of work. Are you sure that's how you're expected to solve these problem? Our friend Lagrange cooked up a crispy formula just for these occasions. It says that if [itex]y_1(t)[/itex] and [itex]y_2(t)[/itex] are linearly independant solution to the homogeneous equation y'' + p(t)y' + q(t)y = 0, then a particular solution to the inhomogeneous equation y'' + p(t)y' + q(t)y=g(t) is

[tex]Y(t) = -y_1 \int \frac{y_2 g}{W(y_1,y_2)}dt + y_2\int\frac{y_1 g}{W(y1,y_2)}dt[/tex]

1. What is the variation of parameters problem in differential equations?

The variation of parameters problem is a method used to find a particular solution to a non-homogeneous linear differential equation. It involves using the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation and finding a particular solution by varying the parameters in the general solution.

2. How is the variation of parameters problem different from other methods of solving differential equations?

The variation of parameters method is different from other methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, because it allows for a more general solution to be found. It also works for a wider range of non-homogeneous equations and does not require the coefficients to be constant.

3. Can the variation of parameters method be used for higher order differential equations?

Yes, the variation of parameters method can be used for higher order differential equations. However, as the order of the equation increases, the method becomes more complex and time-consuming.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the variation of parameters method?

One limitation of the variation of parameters method is that it can only be used for linear differential equations. It also requires the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation to be known, which may not always be the case.

5. How can the variation of parameters method be applied in real-world problems?

The variation of parameters method can be applied in a variety of real-world problems, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model systems that involve changing parameters, such as a population growth or a chemical reaction with varying concentrations. It can also be used to solve differential equations that arise in control systems and signal processing.