Variation of the classic problem about the student and bus

In summary, the conversation discusses a classic physics problem involving a student and a bus, where the student is trying to figure out when they will reach the bus based on their constant speed. The problem is easily solved using the equation "1/2 * a * t ^ 2 + Xo = Vs * t." However, the conversation then poses a more complex scenario where the student and the bus are running on a roundabout or closed path, and asks how to find the equation for the points where they will meet. The solution involves using the differential distance around the roundabout and solving in terms of the cumulative angle traveled. Additionally, if they are on a loop, they will meet an infinite number of times and an additional term is needed
Perico
Hello, I have a question.

There is a classic problem in which a student who is at constant speed approach a bus which has begun to accelerate and is at a certain distance from the student; You need to figure out when it reaches the bus. The problem is easy to solve, if Xo is the distance between both and Vs is the speed of the student, we can find the time in which they will find matching positions "1/2 * a * t ^ 2 + Xo = Vs * t " over time you can get the place where they meet.

Now my question is this. Suppose that in fact the student and the bus are running at a roundabout, turning constantly (we can also imagine that it is a straight but closed path, ie, as in pac-man game where one goes to the right and reappears from left), in that situation, regardless of the acceleration of the bus and the distance, always will find themselves at certain points that will vary; how would the equation that would give me the points where they find? I can not find it, I'm rusty with my physics.

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ds be the differential distance around the circumference of the roundabout. Then ##ds = Rd\theta##, where R is the radius of the roundabout and ##\theta## is the cumulative angle traveled by each. Just solve in terms of ##\theta##.

Perico said:
we can find the time in which they will find matching positions "1/2 * a * t ^ 2 + Xo = Vs * t " over time you can get the place where they meet.
If they are on a loop then they will not just meet once, but an infinite number of times, once for each "lap" around the track. Can you think of a simple additional term you can add which will express that condition for lap number n where the distance for a single lap is L.

1. What is the classic problem about the student and bus?

The classic problem about the student and bus is a mathematical puzzle that involves a student taking a certain number of buses to reach school and then the same number of buses to return home. The challenge is to determine the minimum number of buses the student must take in total.

2. What is the significance of this problem?

This problem helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also introduces the concept of variation and its impact on finding the most efficient solution.

3. How do you approach solving this problem?

The first step is to understand the problem and identify any given information. Then, use algebraic equations and logic to find a general formula for the minimum number of buses. Finally, plug in different numbers to test the formula and ensure its accuracy.

4. Can this problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, this problem can have multiple solutions depending on the given information and the approach used to solve it. However, there is always a minimum number of buses that can be calculated using mathematical reasoning.

5. How is this problem related to real-life situations?

This problem simulates real-life situations where individuals have to travel a certain distance using public transportation. It highlights the importance of finding the most efficient route and the impact of variation on the number of trips required.