Variational method for geodesics - I'm stuck

In summary, Ray d'Inverno's book, Introducing Einstein's Relativity, has a derivation of the geodesic equation that stumps the author. The equation is found by variationalmethod and uses Christoffel symbols. The last term in the Lagrangian is differentiated with the product rule when x^alpha is present in the sum.
Corals

Homework Statement

Hi,
I am reading Ray d'Inverno's book, 'Introducing Einstein's Relativity' and there is a particular derivation of the geodesic equation that I get stumped on (chapter 7). It is a variational method and the final equation is

df/dx_alpha-d/du{df/dx_alpha_dot}=0

where f is the Lagrangian, x_alpha, beta etc are the coordinates
and _dot denotes differenation with respect to an affine parameter.

Now you can carry this computation and derive the equivalent equation but using christoffel symbols. But in this derivation, one line is

f=g[beta,gamma]*dx_beta/du*dx_gamma/du

This equation is a sum over all indices (alpha, beta etc).

df/dx_alpha=dg[beta,gamma]/dx_xlpha*dx_beta/du*dx_gamma/du
My question is shouldn't this last term be differentiated with the product rule, so that

df/dx_alpha=dg[beta,gamma]/dx_xlpha*dx_beta/du*dx_gamma/du +
g[beta,gamma]*d/dx_alpha{dx_beta/du*dx_gamma/du}

f is a summation over all indices (ALPHA INCLUDED), so do we not need extra terms to determine these if we are differentiating with respect to alpha??
Why can we jump to just

?

Please help. I feel I'm missing a point here.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Corals, welcome to PF.

Your post is really hard to read. This forum supports LaTeX, so you could for example write your first equation like

Code:
 [&tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial x^{\alpha}}- \frac{d}{du} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^{\alpha}} \right)=0[&/tex]

without the & signs to obtain:

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial x^{\alpha}} - \frac{d}{du} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^{\alpha}} \right)=0
[/tex]

Anyways...I will try to decipher your post and see if I can help...

Cheers for that. I'll change the layout tonight. Any light on my question in the meantime would be appreciated. I'm a banker by day, reminiscing my background of physics, contemplating a move back...

Corals said:
My question is shouldn't this last term be differentiated with the product rule, so that

df/dx_alpha=dg[beta,gamma]/dx_xlpha*dx_beta/du*dx_gamma/du +
g[beta,gamma]*d/dx_alpha{dx_beta/du*dx_gamma/du}

f is a summation over all indices (ALPHA INCLUDED), so do we not need extra terms to determine these if we are differentiating with respect to alpha??
Why can we jump to just

?

Is your question about this term:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\alpha}} (g_{\beta \gamma}\dot{x}^{\beta}\dot{x}^{\gamma})[/tex]

If so, the product rule gives:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\alpha}} (g_{\beta \gamma}\dot{x}^{\beta}\dot{x}^{\gamma})=\frac{\partial g_{\beta \gamma}}{\partial x^{\alpha}} (\dot{x}^{\beta}\dot{x}^{\gamma})+\frac{\partial \dot{x}^{\beta}}{\partial x^{\alpha}} (g_{\beta \gamma}\dot{x}^{\gamma})+\frac{\partial \dot{x}^{\gamma}}{\partial x^{\alpha}} (g_{\beta \gamma}\dot{x}^{\beta})[/tex]

But(!) [itex] \frac{\partial \dot{x}^{\beta}}{\partial x^{\alpha}}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial \dot{x}^{\gamma}}{\partial x^{\alpha}}[/itex] are both zero so it simplifies to

[tex]\frac{\partial g_{\beta \gamma}}{\partial x^{\alpha}} (\dot{x}^{\beta}\dot{x}^{\gamma})[/tex]

Thanks for that, that helps.
But just to explore this a bit.

The first term for the Lagrangian is the below.

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial x^{\alpha}}- \frac{d}{du} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^{\alpha}} \right)=0[/tex]

[tex] (g_{\beta \gamma}\dot{x}^{\beta}\dot{x}^{\gamma})[/tex]

I can imagine writing this out explicity as a big sum in which case there may well be instances of x^alpha in the sum, in which case they would need to be differentiated to.

I'm explicity trying to solve a problem in Ray D'inverno's book, one in which you use the euler lagrange equation you showed me to calculate the christoffel symbols for spherical coordinates.

There the Lagrangian is [tex]L=e^{\nu}\dot{t}^{2}[/tex]

And now differentiating with respect to t

gives a term [tex]\frac{\partial \dot{t}}{\partial \t}[/tex]

i.e the derivative of dt/du with respect to t which may or may not be zero.

(Ps this may well be an embarassing question on my part)
ps I'm trying to latex the equations, but they're previewing as text - how can I activate them>

Last edited by a moderator:
Get rid of the & signs in your [&tex] and [&/tex] and make sure that you use a forward slash in the closing [&/tex].

Thanks for that, that helps.
But just to explore this a bit.

The first term for the Lagrangian is the below.

[tex]g_{\beta\gamma}\dot{x}^{\beta}\dot{x}^{\gamma}[/tex]

I can imagine writing this out explicity as a big sum in which case there may well be instances of x^alpha in the sum, in which case they would need to be differentiated too.

I'm explicity trying to solve a problem in Ray D'inverno's book, one in which you use the euler lagrange equation you showed me to calculate the christoffel symbols for spherical coordinates.

There the Lagrangian is [tex]2L=e^{\nu}\dot{t}^{2}[/tex]

And now differentiating with respect to t
gives a term [tex]e^{\nu}\dot{t}\frac{\partial \dot{t} }{\partial t}[/tex]

and the derivative of dt/du with respect to t which may or may not be zero, surely.

I suspect I am being naive somewhere and making a basic error. Can you help?

The derivatives are not ordinary derivatives, but partial derivatives. This is very important, because if a function has no explicit dependence on x, then its partial derivative with respect to x is zero. For ordinary derivatives, this is not always the case; if f had an implicit dependence on x, then the ordinary derivative would not necessarily be zero.

The quantities [itex]\dot{x}^{\beta}[/itex] are the time derivatives of the coordinates [itex]x^{\beta}[/itex] and they have no explicit dependence on the coordinates and so the partial derivatives I posted above are zero.

The same thing applies to [itex]\frac{\partial \dot{t} }{\partial t}[/itex], If [itex]\dot{t}[/itex] has no explicit dependence on [itex]t[/itex] then [itex]\frac{\partial \dot{t} }{\partial t}=0[/itex]...Out of curiosity, what exactly do [itex]t[/itex] and [itex]\dot{t}[/itex] represent here? (surely [itex]t[/itex] isn't time because then [itex]\dot{t}=\frac{dt}{dt}=1[/itex])

Well t is in fact time and [tex]\dot{t}[/tex] is the derivative of t with respect to u (the curve along which the integration takes place).

Thanks for your answer - it's all clear now...

1. What is the variational method for geodesics?

The variational method for geodesics is a mathematical approach used to find the shortest path (geodesic) between two points on a curved surface. It involves finding the path that minimizes the length functional, which is a function that measures the length of a curve.

2. How does the variational method for geodesics work?

The variational method for geodesics involves setting up a variational problem where the length functional is minimized. This is done by finding the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are a set of differential equations that describe the geodesic. The solutions to these equations give the geodesic path.

3. What are the applications of the variational method for geodesics?

The variational method for geodesics has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to find the shortest path between two points on a curved surface, which is essential for calculating the trajectory of objects in motion, designing optimal structures, and creating realistic 3D animations.

4. What are the challenges of using the variational method for geodesics?

One major challenge of using the variational method for geodesics is that it can be computationally expensive and time-consuming. This is because it involves solving differential equations and optimizing the length functional, which can be a complex process. Additionally, the method may not always give a unique solution, and there may be multiple geodesics between two points.

5. How can I overcome being stuck while using the variational method for geodesics?

If you are stuck while using the variational method for geodesics, it may be helpful to review the mathematical principles behind the method and verify your calculations. You can also seek help from other researchers or consult relevant literature and resources. Additionally, breaking down the problem into smaller steps and approaching it systematically can also aid in overcoming any roadblocks.