Partial Derivative of Integral

In summary: We are using the fundamental theorem of calculus to find the derivative of the function f(x, y) with respect to x, which is the same as finding the partial derivative of f(x, y) with respect to x. In summary, we are using the fundamental theorem of calculus to find the partial derivative of a function f(x, y) with respect to x.
Victor8108

Homework Statement

Find df/dx, f(x,y)=integral of sqrt(1-t^3)dt from x^2 to x^3.

Since it is asking to find the derivative with respect to x,should I regard t as a constant?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the antiderivative of the integral sqrt(1-t^3)dt and then differentiate with respect to x.

However, I'm stuck in finding the antiderivative of the function , I tried using substitution u=1-t^3, du=-3t^2 dt. But that doesn't seem to be going the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
The variable "t" is a dummy variable we are summing over: the value of the definite integral is not a function of t. To see this another way, apply the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to write the integral as a difference of two functions of x. You do not actually need to find an expression for these two functions, as all you will need are their derivatives. For example, consider
[tex]f(x) = \int_0^{x^2} \sin(t^2) dt[/tex]
The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus tells us that we can write f(x) like this as well, for each value of x:
[tex]f(x) = F(x^2) - F(0)[/tex]
where F(t) is any function whose derivative is [itex]\sin(t^2)[/itex] at each point t in the closed interval between t = 0 and t = [itex]x^2[/itex]. If we try to take the derivative of f(x), we find the following when we apply the chain rule:
[tex]f'(x) = F'(x^2)(2x) - F'(0)(0)[/tex]
We don't need to know any particular version of F, we just need to know what its derivative at [itex]x^2[/itex] and 0 is. Since [itex]x^2[/itex] and 0 are in the closed interval, we know the value of the derivative of F at those points are [itex]\sin(x^4)[/itex] and sin(0), respectively. Thus we get
[tex]f'(x) = 2x\sin(x^4)[/tex]
once we simplify.

Last edited:
For those wondering why the equation f(x,y) has no y, here is the complete function:

f(x,y)= (x^2)y+integral of sqrt(1-t^3)dt from x^2 to x^3.

I figured the first part(x^2)y so I didnt put it in the equation. sorry about the inconvenience.

Ok, according to the fundamental theorem of calculus:

if g(x)= f(t)dt from a to x, then g'(x)=f(x)

applying this to my problem, then it becomes g'(x)= sqrt(1-x^9)-sqrt(1-x^6)

The fundamental theorem states that if F(a, b) is the integral of f(x) from a to b, then, letting g(t) = F(a, t), g'(t) = f(t).

Victor8108 said:
Ok, according to the fundamental theorem of calculus:

if g(x)= f(t)dt from a to x, then g'(x)=f(x)

applying this to my problem, then it becomes g'(x)= sqrt(1-x^9)-sqrt(1-x^6)

That's absolutely right.

1. What is a partial derivative of an integral?

A partial derivative of an integral is a mathematical operation that involves finding the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables while keeping the other variables constant. It is a generalization of the concept of a derivative in single variable calculus.

2. Why is the partial derivative of an integral important?

The partial derivative of an integral is important because it allows us to analyze how a function changes with respect to a specific variable, even if the function has multiple variables. It is useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as optimization, economics, and physics.

3. How do you compute a partial derivative of an integral?

To compute a partial derivative of an integral, we use the chain rule from calculus. This involves taking the derivative of the integrand with respect to the variable of interest, and then multiplying it by the derivative of that variable with respect to the overall integration variable. The result is a new function that represents the rate of change of the original function with respect to the chosen variable.

4. Can we apply the fundamental theorem of calculus to partial derivatives?

Yes, we can apply the fundamental theorem of calculus to partial derivatives. This theorem states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the original function. In the case of partial derivatives, this means that the partial derivative of an integral is equal to the original function, with the other variables held constant.

5. How is the partial derivative of an integral used in real-world applications?

The partial derivative of an integral is used in many real-world applications, such as in economics to model changes in demand and supply, in physics to analyze the motion of objects in multiple dimensions, and in engineering to optimize designs. It is a powerful tool for understanding and solving complex problems that involve multiple variables.