1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Derivative of Integral

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find df/dx, f(x,y)=integral of sqrt(1-t^3)dt from x^2 to x^3.

Since it is asking to find the derivative with respect to x,should I regard t as a constant?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to find the antiderivative of the integral sqrt(1-t^3)dt and then differentiate with respect to x.

However, I'm stuck in finding the antiderivative of the function , I tried using substitution u=1-t^3, du=-3t^2 dt. But that doesnt seem to be going the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2
    The variable "t" is a dummy variable we are summing over: the value of the definite integral is not a function of t. To see this another way, apply the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to write the integral as a difference of two functions of x. You do not actually need to find an expression for these two functions, as all you will need are their derivatives. For example, consider
    [tex]f(x) = \int_0^{x^2} \sin(t^2) dt[/tex]
    The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus tells us that we can write f(x) like this as well, for each value of x:
    [tex]f(x) = F(x^2) - F(0)[/tex]
    where F(t) is any function whose derivative is [itex]\sin(t^2)[/itex] at each point t in the closed interval between t = 0 and t = [itex]x^2[/itex]. If we try to take the derivative of f(x), we find the following when we apply the chain rule:
    [tex]f'(x) = F'(x^2)(2x) - F'(0)(0)[/tex]
    We don't need to know any particular version of F, we just need to know what its derivative at [itex]x^2[/itex] and 0 is. Since [itex]x^2[/itex] and 0 are in the closed interval, we know the value of the derivative of F at those points are [itex]\sin(x^4)[/itex] and sin(0), respectively. Thus we get
    [tex]f'(x) = 2x\sin(x^4)[/tex]
    once we simplify.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  4. Mar 11, 2013 #3
    For those wondering why the equation f(x,y) has no y, here is the complete function:

f(x,y)= (x^2)y+integral of sqrt(1-t^3)dt from x^2 to x^3.

I figured the first part(x^2)y so I didnt put it in the equation. sorry about the inconvenience.

5. Mar 11, 2013 #4
    Ok, according to the fundamental theorem of calculus:

if g(x)= f(t)dt from a to x, then g'(x)=f(x)

applying this to my problem, then it becomes g'(x)= sqrt(1-x^9)-sqrt(1-x^6)

6. Mar 11, 2013 #5
    The fundamental theorem states that if F(a, b) is the integral of f(x) from a to b, then, letting g(t) = F(a, t), g'(t) = f(t).

7. Mar 11, 2013 #6
    That's absolutely right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted