1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Varying insulation thicknesses

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    Hello.
    I am currently investigating the relationship between the thickness of insulation and the temperature of the system being insulated. The material I used was card - not a common insulator, I know, but the variable in question was thickness. What I found was most interesting: for the first 7 minutes or so of testing, using two sheets of card appeared to cause the system to heat slower than just one sheet of card, as expected. After 7 minutes, however, the two seemed to behave exactly the same until around the 20 minute mark. Another curiosity can be seen between the data from 5 sheets of card and 3 sheets - after 30 minutes, the temperatures of their respective systems appeared to be almost exactly the same.

I am currently attempting to theoretically explain my results - does anyone here have any ideas? I have included the graph's spreadsheet as an attachment to the thread.
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would expect that your main heating was done somewhere where you did not have the insulation, therefore the number of sheets did not matter much.

In addition, I would not interpret to much in the small differences between your values. While there is some visible trend (lower temperature for more sheets), the time-dependence of the differences is probably just random noise.

4. May 10, 2012 #3
    I have trouble visuallized your setup and have no idea what 'card' is.

But, insulation also has a specific thermal capacity and will abosrb some of the heat and increase in temperature as would any other material.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook