Varying the strength of a spring or something similar

In summary, the conversation discusses various ways to create an object that can be adjusted to lift varying amounts of weight without affecting its range of motion. Suggestions include using a lever, a variable diameter pulley, or a counterweight system. The purpose of the variable diameter pulley is to change the mechanical advantage and make lifting easier or harder. Other suggestions include using different gears or adding/removing weights. The conversation also mentions the importance of constructing the device in a way that allows for easy adjustment without having to move or remove parts.
leroyjenkens
I have an idea for an invention that focuses on a spring that supports weight. Is there a way to manually make a spring vary how much weight it supports? Or is there maybe something else other than a spring that could do the same thing I need the spring to do, but could vary how much weight it supports?
I thought about having a lever hooked up to the bottom end of the spring (the actual metal tip end) that pulls it apart, causing it to sort of unravel a little bit. Does that cause springs to lose compression strength?
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Instead of fastening the end of the spring, fasten the middle. That way, only half the spring would stretch/shrink when flexed. It would be effectively twice as stiff.

Building on what @anorlunda suggests, how about using a spring and a hollow threaded tube that have the same pitch, with the OD of the cylindrical spring equal to the largest ID of the tube? You can turn the tube to run it farther up the spring, exposing less and less of the spring. The part of the spring in the threaded tube is fixed, and only the part of the spring sticking out the top of the tube is still able to compress.

Can the effective length of the spring change as the stiffness changes?

https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1FEjHKpXXXXcaXVXXq6xXFXXXJ/corrugated-tube-threaded-pipe.jpg
corrugated-tube-threaded-pipe.jpg

Great responses, guys. I kinda need the spring to stay relatively long, so the length kinda needs to stay the same. It doesn't have to be a spring. I was thinking of maybe a pully system at first, but then switched to a spring. But maybe a pully system could work? It won't lift automatically, like the spring, but it will assist the lift, which is what I'm looking for. Do you think it would be possible for a pully system to have a switch that can change the difficulty without having to re-string the rope?
Thanks.

leroyjenkens said:
Great responses, guys. I kinda need the spring to stay relatively long, so the length kinda needs to stay the same. It doesn't have to be a spring. I was thinking of maybe a pully system at first, but then switched to a spring. But maybe a pully system could work? It won't lift automatically, like the spring, but it will assist the lift, which is what I'm looking for. Do you think it would be possible for a pully system to have a switch that can change the difficulty without having to re-string the rope?
Thanks.

Yes, there are pulley systems that have belts moving over variable diameter pulleys.

But no more guessing. If you want more help, explain better what you are trying to accomplish.

I want to make an object easier to lift or harder to lift by a simple adjustment by the user, while not taking away the range of motion. It's an exercise device, so range of motion is important. You mentioned variable diameter pulleys; what is the purpose of the variable diameter pulley? Those are used in vehicles to change speed? Can that translate to varying lifting difficulty?
Thanks for the response.

leroyjenkens said:
I want to make an object easier to lift or harder to lift by a simple adjustment by the user, while not taking away the range of motion. It's an exercise device, so range of motion is important. You mentioned variable diameter pulleys; what is the purpose of the variable diameter pulley? Those are used in vehicles to change speed? Can that translate to varying lifting difficulty?
Thanks for the response.

OK, that's better.

Consider a simple deraulier gear on a bicycle. Instead of a wheel, think of a rope wrapped around the rear axle with its other end lifting a weight. Then shifting the gears makes lifting the weight easier or harder. It is called simple mechanical advantage. There are countless ways to make it.

220px-Shimano_xt_rear_derailleur.jpg

Edit: it is also the principle of the lever. To adjust a lever, just move the fulcrum.

Last edited:
The usual method is to vary the weight being lifted by adding or removing weights. In some machines the weights don't have to be physically removed just "disconnected" from the moving part by withdrawing a pin and inserting it in a different hole.

Thank you. The derailleur gears are a great suggestion. For my application, I would need to think of a way to change gears without them being in motion. You mentioned a variable diameter pulley. I think that could work. That would be more difficult to construct, and I would need to think of a way to vary the diameter with the rope being in contact with the pulley at all times. Thanks again.

And yes, CWatters, I had that in mind when thinking of my idea. My device would be able to be moved without having to move all the weights, so it cuts down on the weight of the device.

cvt.gif
Another simple way. Think of a see-saw with the user on one side and a counter weight on the other side. Just move the counter weight back and forth to adjust the force needed by the user.

There are countless ways to design your exercise machine.

Attachments

• cvt.gif
    cvt.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 423

1. How does changing the strength of a spring affect its behavior?

The strength of a spring determines how much force is needed to compress or stretch it. A stronger spring will require more force to compress or stretch, while a weaker spring will require less force. This will affect the spring's behavior by changing its stiffness and the distance it can be compressed or stretched.

2. Can the strength of a spring be adjusted?

Yes, the strength of a spring can be adjusted by changing its material, size, or shape. For example, using a thicker wire or a more elastic material can increase the strength of a spring. Additionally, the number of coils in a spring can also affect its strength.

3. What are some real-world applications of varying spring strength?

Varying the strength of a spring has many practical applications, such as in car suspensions, door hinges, and pogo sticks. It is also used in various types of machinery and equipment, such as watches, shock absorbers, and exercise equipment.

4. How does varying the strength of a spring affect its lifespan?

Changing the strength of a spring can affect its lifespan in different ways. A stronger spring may have a longer lifespan because it can withstand more force without deforming. However, increasing the strength too much can cause the spring to fail under excessive stress. On the other hand, a weaker spring may have a shorter lifespan as it may wear out more quickly due to repeated compression and expansion.

5. Can varying the strength of a spring affect its ability to store energy?

Yes, varying the strength of a spring can affect its ability to store energy. A stronger spring can store more energy when compressed or stretched, while a weaker spring will store less energy. This is because the strength of the spring determines how much potential energy is stored in its coils when compressed or stretched.