Error in Vector Addition: U & V Perpendicular

In summary, the conversation discusses two unitary vectors U and V in space that are perpendicular, and a vector W that satisfies the equation W ^ V = U - W. However, the resolution provided is incorrect due to a mistake in the notation where the sign and numbers were flipped by mistake.
Amine_prince
i have two unitary vectors in space U and V , U and V are perpendicular .
W is a vector that verifies W ^ V = U - W .
the following resolution is incorrect , i wan't to understand why :

we use (o,U,V,(U^V)) . components of U (1,0,0) , V(0,1,0) , W(a,b,c) where a , b and c are real numbers .
components of W ^ V ( c , 0 , a) . and U - W ( 1-a , -b, -c)
where is the error here ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Amine_prince said:
i have two unitary vectors in space U and V , U and V are perpendicular .
W is a vector that verifies W ^ V = U - W .
the following resolution is incorrect , i wan't to understand why :

we use (o,U,V,(U^V)) . components of U (1,0,0) , V(0,1,0) , W(a,b,c) where a , b and c are real numbers .
components of W ^ V ( c , 0 , a) . and U - W ( 1-a , -b, -c)
where is the error here ?

I'm not sure about your notation: ^ means vector cross-product? I've always used [itex]\times[/itex]

If so, then you are on the right track. [itex]U, V, U \times V[/itex] can be used as an orthonormal basis. So we can write [itex]W[/itex] as a linear combination:

[itex]W = a U + b V + c (U \times V)[/itex]

Then [itex]W \times V = U - W[/itex] becomes:

[itex] (a U + b V + c (U \times V)) \times V = U - a U - b V - c (U \times V)[/itex]

Now, we use the rules:
[itex]X \times X = 0[/itex]
[itex](X \times Y) \times Z = (X \cdot Z) V - X (Y \cdot Z)[/itex]

where [itex]\cdot[/itex] is the vector scalar product.

Applying these rules gives us:
[itex]a U \times V + 0 + c (U \cdot V) V - c U (V \cdot V) = U - a U - bV - c (U \times V)[/itex]

This simplifies to:
[itex]a U \times V - c U = (1-a)U - b V - c(U \times V)[/itex]

So if you just pair up the corresponding orthogonal vectors, this gives three equations:
  1. [itex]a = -c[/itex]
  2. [itex]0 = -b[/itex]
  3. [itex]-c = (1-a)[/itex]

thank you sir :)

Amine_prince said:
thank you sir :)
Looking at what you wrote, I think that your problem is that

[itex](a, b, c) \times (0,1,0) = (-c, 0, a)[/itex]

yes , i missed the sign . and flipped the numbers by mistake .

FAQ: Error in Vector Addition: U & V Perpendicular

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors to find a resulting vector that represents their combined effect. It involves adding the magnitude and direction of each vector to determine the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector.

2. How do you determine if two vectors are perpendicular?

Two vectors are perpendicular if their dot product is equal to zero. This means that the angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees. Alternatively, you can also determine if two vectors are perpendicular by checking if their slopes are negative reciprocals of each other.

3. What does it mean if U & V are perpendicular in vector addition?

If U and V are perpendicular in vector addition, it means that their dot product is equal to zero and their slopes are negative reciprocals of each other. This indicates that the two vectors are at right angles to each other and their combined effect is zero.

4. What is the error in vector addition if U & V are not perpendicular?

If U and V are not perpendicular in vector addition, the error lies in the assumption that their combined effect is zero. This means that the resulting vector will have a different magnitude and direction than expected, leading to an incorrect calculation.

5. How can you avoid errors in vector addition when U & V are not perpendicular?

To avoid errors in vector addition when U and V are not perpendicular, you can use the parallelogram method to accurately find the resulting vector. This involves drawing a parallelogram with the two vectors as adjacent sides and finding the diagonal of the parallelogram, which represents the resulting vector. Alternatively, you can also use the trigonometric equations for vector addition to calculate the resulting vector.