1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calc: Div Identity

1. Aug 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    div(grad f x grad g)=0. I need to prove this somehow.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont really know where to even start this at >.< any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write grad(f) and grad(g) out in components and take their cross product. Now take div of that. Use that mixed partial derivatives are equal e.g. d^2(f)/(dxdy)=d^2(f)/(dydx). That will get the job done.

4. Aug 12, 2009 #3
    Personally, I like using index notation for this type of problem; it's a good deal more compact and, once you get used to it, very transparent. Instead of writing out all the components longhand, write [tex] \nabla f \times \nabla g = \tilde{\varepsilon}^{ijk} f_{,i} g_{,j} \hat{\mathbf{e}}_{k} [/tex] , where [tex] \tilde{\varepsilon} [/tex] is the Levi-Civita symbol (not being careful about index placement here, since we're in flat space). Then you have
    [tex]
    \begin{align*}
    \nabla \cdot (\nabla f \times \nabla g) &= \tilde{\varepsilon}^{ijk} (f_{,i} g_{,j})_{,k}\\
    &= \tilde{\varepsilon}^{ijk} f_{,i,k} g_{,j} + \tilde{\varepsilon}^{ijk} f_{,i} g_{,j,k} \textrm{.}
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]
    Both summands in the last equation vanish. Indeed, let [tex] P = \tilde{\varepsilon}^{ijk} f_{,i,k} g_{,j} [/tex] . Then, since partials commute, we have [tex] P = \tilde{\varepsilon}^{ijk} f_{,k,i} g_{,j} [/tex] ; by a trivial relabeling of dummy indices, this gives [tex] P = \tilde{\varepsilon}^{kji} f_{,i,k} g_{,j} = -\tilde{\varepsilon}^{ijk} f_{,i,k} g_{,j} = -P [/tex] (since [tex] \tilde{\varepsilon} [/tex] is completely antisymmetric), so [tex] P = 0 [/tex]. The logic for the other summand is identical.

5. Aug 13, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Alternatively, if you've already proven the following identities in class, you can simply combine them with [itex]\textbf{A}=\mathbf{\nabla}f[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{B}=\mathbf{\nabla}g[/itex] and the result becomes apparent.

Identities:

[tex]\mathbf{\nabla}\cdot(\textbf{A}\times\textbf{B})=\textbf{B}\cdot(\mathbf{\nabla}\times\textbf{A})-\textbf{B}\cdot(\mathbf{\nabla}\times\textbf{B})[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{\nabla}\times(\mthbf{\nabla}f)=0[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook