1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector calculus: Projection of a point to a plane

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    The problem reads as follows:

"The projection of a point P = (x,y,z) to a plane is a point on the plane that is closest to P. If the plane is defined by a point P0 = (x0,y0,z0) and a normal vector n=(x1,y1,z1), computer the projection of P on this plane."

Well, I haven't had a relevant Calculus course in many years, but I'm 99.9% certain that this is a vector calculus problem. My memory is a little sketchy on how to solve for a projection of a point on to a plane, so could anyone here perhaps provide a forumla, algorithm, solution or some other explanation of this problem? Thank you all very much for your time and help even if you don't reply! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

First find the projection Q of P-P0 onto n. If you think about it geometrically this is the vector connecting P and the closest point on the plane. Then if you take P - Q, you should be able to see that this is the projection of P onto the plane.

4. Feb 8, 2006 #3
    its not a vector calculus problem its a 3D mathematics problem or a lin alg problem. You could do either orthodontist method which works good or you can try one of two other methods
    [0] you can find teh equation that passes between the point P and projP. Which is easy then substitue back into the plane equation and solve for t.
    lot mor work but its worth it
    [1] (this is just another way to reword orthodontist, but i think more in lamens terms)
    solve for the distance D of P to the plane. which is easy then add a "vector" with length with that distance

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?