1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector calculus, Torricelli's Trumpet/Gabriel's Horn

1. Jul 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've recently been completing an assessment on Torricelli's Trumpet and was told to look into the geometry aspect. I've been following this website: http://www.palmbeachstate.edu/honors/documents/jeansergejoseph.pdf
    I understand all the steps but am not privvy to how they went from

Ru*Rv=-f(u)cos(v)+f(u)sin(v)+f(u)f'(u)
    to ||Ru*Rv||=√(f}^2+(ff')^2)

I understand that they taken the inner product space (or at least that is what I believe it is) but I don't know how they managed to manipulate that equation to the inner product space? These are seen at the bottom of page 12 and the beginning of page 13 for the website. If someone could explain further what happened I would be very greatful.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not an inner product. It's a cross product. Ru x Rv=[-f(u)cos(v),f(u)sin(v),f(u)f'(u)]. It's a vector with three components. You left out the unit vectors. Now take the norm. || [x,y,z] ||=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2).

4. Jul 25, 2013 #3
    I was looking into norms but I tried it and it didn't work out but now I see where I went wrong. Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted