Is a Vector Orthogonal to a Set Also Orthogonal to Its Span?

In summary: Yes, that's right. You also need one more fact, namely:$$\langle w, k_1 u_1 + \ldots + k_r u_r \rangle = \langle w, k_1 u_1 \rangle + \ldots + \langle w, k_r u_r \rangle$$Now you can apply your step of sliding the ##k_i##'s out of the inner product, and use the fact that ##\langle w, u_i \rangle = 0## as you said.
mpittma1

Homework Statement

Let V be an inner product space. Show that if w is orthogonal to each of the vectors
u1,u2,...,ur, then it is orthogonal to every vector in the span{u1,u2,...,ur}.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to show this, if w is orthogonal to every vector u1,u2,...,ur, wouldn't w already be orthogonal to the spanning set?

The spanning set is a subspace of the subspace of the inner product space of V.

Am I suppose to show it symbolically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Two things to consider:

(1) What is the definition of orthogonality?
(2) What does a general element of ##\text{span}\{u_1, \ldots,u_r\}## look like?

jbunniii said:
Two things to consider:

(1) What is the definition of orthogonality?
(2) What does a general element of ##\text{span}\{u_1, \ldots,u_r\}## look like?

So for orthogonality two vectors in an inner product space are orthogonal if (in this case) the vectors <u, w> = 0.

A spanning set is just the set of all linear combinations of the vectors in V.

So for the spanning set w = k1u1 + k2u2,...,krur

which becomes

0 = k1u1 + k2u2,...,krur

so the only difference between w being orthogonal with u1,u2,...,ur is that there is some scalar k that's been thrown into the mix?

mpittma1 said:
So for orthogonality two vectors in an inner product space are orthogonal if (in this case) the vectors <u, w> = 0.
OK.

A spanning set is just the set of all linear combinations of the vectors in V.

So for the spanning set w = k1u1 + k2u2,...,krur
Well, the right hand side is a general element of the span, so that's good. But we want to check whether ##w## is orthogonal to this element, we don't want to set ##w## equal to this element. So to avoid confusion, let's give the general element a new name, say ##v = k_1 u_1 + \ldots + k_r u_r##. Now you want to check whether ##w## is orthogonal to ##v##. So what is ##\langle w, v \rangle##?

jbunniii said:
OK.

Well, the right hand side is a general element of the span, so that's good. But we want to check whether ##w## is orthogonal to this element, we don't want to set ##w## equal to this element. So to avoid confusion, let's give the general element a new name, say ##v = k_1 u_1 + \ldots + k_r u_r##. Now you want to check whether ##w## is orthogonal to ##v##. So what is ##\langle w, v \rangle##?

##\langle w, v \rangle## = ku1w+ku2w+...+kurw =0

then after saying that, if k was the zero vector it proves that to be true

mpittma1 said:
##\langle w, v \rangle## = ku1w+ku2w+...+kurw =0

then after saying that, if k was the zero vector it proves that to be true
No, you don't need ##k## to be the zero vector. Let's take a step back.
$$\langle w,v \rangle = \langle w, k_1 u_1 + \ldots + k_r u_r\rangle = ?$$
What properties of the inner product do you know that can help to simplify this? The goal is to get an expression involving ##\langle w, u_i\rangle## for ##i=1, \ldots, r##.

Likes 1 person
jbunniii said:
No, you don't need ##k## to be the zero vector. Let's take a step back.
$$\langle w,v \rangle = \langle w, k_1 u_1 + \ldots + k_r u_r\rangle = ?$$
What properties of the inner product do you know that can help to simplify this? The goal is to get an expression involving ##\langle w, u_i\rangle## for ##i=1, \ldots, r##.

Properties of inner products say the scalar k can be brought out as such k<w,u>

so we could say k<w, ui> = 0 for k ε R and for i = 1, 2, ... r

then at this point the value of k doesn't matter because i have already said that <w, ui> = 0 for i = 1, 2, ... r.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I think I am starting to see it.

I

mpittma1 said:
Properties of inner products say the scalar k can be brought out as such k<w,u>

so we could say k<w, ui> = 0 for k ε R and for i = 1, 2, ... r

then at this point the value of k doesn't matter because i have already said that <w, ui> = 0 for i = 1, 2, ... r.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I think I am starting to see it.
Yes, that's right. You also need one more fact, namely:
$$\langle w, k_1 u_1 + \ldots + k_r u_r \rangle = \langle w, k_1 u_1 \rangle + \ldots + \langle w, k_r u_r \rangle$$
Now you can apply your step of sliding the ##k_i##'s out of the inner product, and use the fact that ##\langle w, u_i \rangle = 0## as you said.

One small detail: in case you happen to be working with complex numbers, the ##k_i##'s get conjugated if you move them from the second position in the inner product. So:
$$\langle w, k_i u_i \rangle = \overline{k_i} \langle w, u_i\rangle$$
But if you move them from the first position then there is no conjugate:
$$\langle k_i u_i, w \rangle = k_i \langle u_i, w \rangle$$
If the ##k_i##'s are real numbers, then it doesn't make any difference, since the conjugate of ##k_i## is just ##k_i##.

jbunniii said:
Yes, that's right. You also need one more fact, namely:
$$\langle w, k_1 u_1 + \ldots + k_r u_r \rangle = \langle w, k_1 u_1 \rangle + \ldots + \langle w, k_r u_r \rangle$$
Now you can apply your step of sliding the ##k_i##'s out of the inner product, and use the fact that ##\langle w, u_i \rangle = 0## as you said.

One small detail: in case you happen to be working with complex numbers, the ##k_i##'s get conjugated if you move them from the second position in the inner product. So:
$$\langle w, k_i u_i \rangle = \overline{k_i} \langle w, u_i\rangle$$
But if you move them from the first position then there is no conjugate:
$$\langle k_i u_i, w \rangle = k_i \langle u_i, w \rangle$$
If the ##k_i##'s are real numbers, then it doesn't make any difference, since the conjugate of ##k_i## is just ##k_i##.

This is a basic linear algebra course so we only work with real values. But thank you so much for all your help, I truly understand this now!

Related to Is a Vector Orthogonal to a Set Also Orthogonal to Its Span?

1. What is an orthogonal spanning set?

An orthogonal spanning set is a collection of vectors in a vector space that are all mutually perpendicular (orthogonal) to each other and together they span the entire space. This means that any vector in the space can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the set.

2. How is an orthogonal spanning set different from a regular spanning set?

An orthogonal spanning set differs from a regular spanning set in that the vectors in an orthogonal set are all perpendicular to each other, while in a regular spanning set, there may be some overlap or dependence between the vectors.

3. What is the significance of an orthogonal spanning set in linear algebra?

An orthogonal spanning set is significant in linear algebra because it allows us to easily solve linear systems of equations and find the coordinates of vectors in a space. It also simplifies computations and makes it easier to represent and understand vector spaces.

4. How do you determine if a set of vectors is an orthogonal spanning set?

To determine if a set of vectors is an orthogonal spanning set, you can check if all the vectors are mutually perpendicular (orthogonal) to each other and if they together span the entire space. This can be done by calculating the dot product of each pair of vectors and checking if it equals zero (for orthogonality) and by trying to write an arbitrary vector in the space as a linear combination of the given vectors (for spanning).

5. Can an orthogonal spanning set be infinite?

Yes, an orthogonal spanning set can be infinite. For example, in an infinite dimensional vector space, you can have an infinite set of orthogonal vectors that together span the entire space. However, in practical applications, we often work with finite dimensional vector spaces and therefore, an orthogonal spanning set would also be finite.