Vector Calculus: Understanding Divergence & Curl

In summary: Now, technically, since curl represents a direction, it has to be represented by a vector, and it’s more correct to say that ."Curl is a vector, so when you see a divergence or curl with variables in it, it means that the divergence or curl is different at different points in space.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Hi! I have recently been independently studying vector calculus. I understand that divergence measures change in magnitude and curl is the change in direction, however, I don't understand what certain divergences and curls represent. For example, how would you describe a field with a divergence of 2? What about a curl of 2? What about when divergences and curls have veriables in them (i.e. 3x+7y)? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Isaac0427 said:
Hi! I have recently been independently studying vector calculus. I understand that divergence measures change in magnitude and curl is the change in direction, however, I don't understand what certain divergences and curls represent. For example, how would you describe a field with a divergence of 2? What about a curl of 2? What about when divergences and curls have variables in them (i.e. 3x+7y)? Thanks in advance!

Curl is a vector and 2 isn't a vector, so saying that a field "has a curl of 2" is meaningless.

If you see variables such as ##x## and ##y## in the expression for divergence that means that the divergence is different at different points in space; ##x## and ##y## are the coordinates of the point where you're calculating the divergence. The same thing works for the expressions for the components of the curl vector.

If your vector field is the current in a body water (at every point ##(x,y)## the water is moving in some direction with some speed) the divergence will be non-zero at the inlets and outlets where water is entering or leaving the system, and the curl will be greatest in the neighborhood of the whirlpools (if any).

If any part of what I just said does not make sense, you need to go back and solidify your intuitive understanding of what a vector field is.

Nugatory said:
Curl is a vector and 2 isn't a vector, so saying that a field "has a curl of 2" is meaningless
I was using http://www2.sjs.org/raulston/mvc.10/topic.6.lab.1.htm and I just want to know visually, what it means for those examples to have the curl and divergence that they are said to have.

Isaac0427 said:
I was using http://www2.sjs.org/raulston/mvc.10/topic.6.lab.1.htm and I just want to know visually, what it means for those examples to have the curl and divergence that they are said to have.

Look halfway down that page and you'll see that it says "Now, technically, since curl represents a direction, it has to be represented by a vector, and it’s more correct to say that
image038.gif
. If you’re conversant with torque, you know that it acts in a direction perpendicular to the plane of the forces causing the spin, so it wouldn’t surprise you that curl G is in the z-direction for Field 10."

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their properties, such as divergence and curl. It combines the concepts of calculus, linear algebra, and geometry to analyze and manipulate functions that have multiple variables.

2. What is divergence?

Divergence measures the rate at which a vector field is spreading out or converging at a given point. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and no direction. A positive divergence indicates that the vector field is spreading out, while a negative divergence indicates that it is converging.

3. What is curl?

Curl measures the rotation or circulation of a vector field at a given point. It is also a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. A vector field with zero curl is called irrotational, while a non-zero curl indicates that the field has some rotational component.

4. How are divergence and curl related?

Divergence and curl are related through the fundamental theorem of vector calculus, also known as the Helmholtz theorem. This theorem states that any vector field can be decomposed into two components: a divergence-free (irrotational) component and a curl-free (solenoidal) component.

5. What are some real-world applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to analyze and model phenomena such as fluid flow, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is also essential in understanding and optimizing complex systems, such as traffic patterns and weather patterns.