1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calculus with Maxwell's Equations

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the following representation of Maxwell's eqns: $$\nabla \cdot \underline{E} =0,\,\,\, \nabla \cdot \underline{B} = 0,\,\,\, \nabla \times \underline{E} = -\frac{\partial \underline{B}}{\partial t}, \,\,\,\frac{1}{\mu_o}\nabla \times \underline{B} = \epsilon_o \frac{\partial \underline{E}}{\partial t}.$$

By considering ##\nabla \times (\nabla \times \underline{E})##, use the above and an appropriate vector identity to deduce $$\left(\frac{1}{c^2} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2} - \nabla^2\right) \underline{E} = 0.$$

Therby deduce an expression for ##c##. Find a similar eqn for B.

(Note: This question is from a Calculus course)

3. The attempt at a solution

So, considering ##\nabla \times (\nabla \times \underline{E})## I rewrote this as (which I believe is the 'appropriate vector identity' : ##\nabla(\nabla \cdot \underline{E}) - (\nabla^2) \underline{E}. ## However, I believe both these terms vanish because of the equations given. The other thing I tried more directly was subbing in what we have for ##\nabla \times \underline{E}##, to get ##\nabla \times \left(-\frac{\partial \underline{B}}{\partial t}\right).## It looks like I could then use the eqn above involving del cross B, but I am not sure whether I can just move the ∂/∂t around. (Probably not)

Many thanks for any advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Certainly [itex]\nabla (\nabla \cdot \underline{E})[/itex] vanishes, but you can't conclude that [itex]\nabla^2 \underline{E}[/itex] vanishes.

I think you are entitled to assume that [itex]\underline{B}[/itex] is sufficiently smooth that
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} (\nabla \times \underline{B}) = \nabla \times \frac{\partial \underline{B}}{\partial t}.[/tex]

Now you have two expressions for [itex]\nabla \times (\nabla \times \underline{E})[/itex]; what happens if you compare them?

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

$$
    (\nabla \cdot \nabla)\underline{E} = \nabla \cdot (\nabla E) .$$ I see this is not zero now, I must have confused the part in brackets as a dot product before.

How can you be sure this is correct? What identity are you using?

5. Feb 22, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

pasmith is just using that the time derivative commutes with the space derivatives. For example, ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}##. You can always do that in physics. It can fail for some functions that don't have enough continuous derivatives, but I wouldn't worry about that.

6. Feb 23, 2013 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi Dick,
    Is it sensible to write:$$\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left (\nabla \times \underline{B} \right) = \frac{\partial \nabla}{\partial t} \times \underline{B} + \nabla \times \frac{\partial B}{\partial t}.$$
    And since ##\nabla## does not depend on time, that term disappears?

Once I do the rerrangment I get that $$\frac{1}{c^2} = \mu_o \epsilon_o \Rightarrow c = \pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{\mu_o \epsilon_o}}$$. I know c represents the speed of light, but in the question it is given as a constant. Should I therefore include the ##\pm##?

I'll try the next part later today. But as far as I can tell by doing some of it in my head, it looks wholly symmetric, so the eqn derived for E will have any E replaced with B.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  7. Feb 23, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, that's not very accurate. You aren't differentiating a product, you are interchanging derivatives. And when you talk about a 'speed' you are pretty definitely talking about something positive.

8. Feb 23, 2013 #7

CAF123

Gold Member

If I was to replace the del operator with some other vector, then the statement would be correct. So basically I cannot do what I did above because del is an operator, right?

I realise this, but given that the question says c is a constant, we are not meant to know that the quantity is indeed the speed of light. The only reason I know it to be the speed of light is because I have seen it in another course. So, I take the ##\pm## since it is only given that c is a constant. (or I can just say in my answer that I have seen this before and know it to be the speed of light and a speed is always +ve)

9. Feb 23, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can do what you did, I just think it's sloppy thinking. You should be a little more careful with operators than with numbers. And if you don't know that c is a speed the negative answer is just as good as positive. Since it only occurs in the equation as c^2, it hardly matters.

10. Feb 23, 2013 #9

CAF123

Gold Member

I am not sure what you mean by 'sloppy thinking'? I know that you have to be careful using the BAC-CAB identity for del. Could you explain more why it is sloppy? Is it just because I am taking the time derivative of an operator?

Many thanks.

11. Feb 23, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, taking the derivative of an operator should require you to say what the definition of an operator derivative is. And you aren't really differentiating a 'product' either. So what 'product rule' are you using? The answer is correct but I think the lack of any sort of formalism is what I would call 'sloppy'. Seems much simpler to just regard it as interchanging the order of partial derivatives. That is a proper theorem, even has a name and limits to its validity. It's called Clairaut's theorem.

12. Feb 23, 2013 #11

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, i've heard of Clairaut's theorem. So is it the case that ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t}## commutes with ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}## in the del operator, provided B is continuous
    on it's domain.

13. Feb 23, 2013 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually you need B to have continuous second partial derivatives, but in this kind of problem you just assume everything is as differentiable as it needs to be.

14. Feb 25, 2013 #13

CAF123

Gold Member

I have two similar questions related to this material:
    1)Let E be a vector field such that ##∇ \times E = 0##. Show ##∇(a \cdot E) = (a \cdot \nabla)E## given that a is a constant vector.

I have got this down to ##∇(a \cdot E) = (a \cdot \nabla)E + (E \cdot \nabla)a## so I must argue that the latter term is necessarily 0. I thought I could write ##(E \cdot \nabla)a = E \cdot (\nabla a)##, but a is a vector quantity so I am not sure. Any ideas?

I'll ask my other question later to avoid clutter.

15. Feb 25, 2013 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you're not sure write out what these things are in components.

16. Feb 25, 2013 #15

CAF123

Gold Member

Ok, so $$ = \left[\frac{\partial a_1}{\partial x_1}e_1 + \frac{\partial a_2}{\partial x_2}e_2 + \frac{\partial a_3}{\partial x_3}e_3 \right]. $$ I see that this makes sense. Strange.. I remember recalling reading some other thread on PF that the gradient of a vector is defined as something else...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  17. Feb 25, 2013 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That would be grad(a) alright.

18. Feb 26, 2013 #17

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi Dick,
    I have another question relating to this material:
    Consider some vector field ##\underline{u}(\underline{r}(t),t)##. Find the total derivative ##\frac{du}{dt}##. What I have is $$\frac{du}{dt} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \frac{dr}{dt} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}\frac{dt}{dt}$$

This is a 'show that' question so what I need to show is that ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial r} \frac{dr}{dt} = (u \cdot \nabla) u##

Using your previous hint, I wrote this in components: $$\left[\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_1} \frac{dx_1}{dt}e_1 + \frac{\partial u}{\partial x_2}\frac{dx_2}{dt}e_2 + \frac{\partial u}{\partial x_3}\frac{dx_3}{dt}e_3 \right]$$

From this it seems that I have ##(\nabla \cdot u)u## instead? Thank you.

19. Feb 26, 2013 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is really confusing. What is ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}## supposed to mean if r is a vector? Is that actually how they stated the problem? If not, what is the actual statement of the problem?

20. Feb 26, 2013 #19

CAF123

Gold Member

Question: The velocity of an element of fluid at position r(t) at time t is described by a vector field ##\underline{u}(\underline{r}(t),t)##. Use the chain rule to show that the total derivative of this velocity field with respect to time is$$\frac{du}{dt} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + (u \cdot \nabla)u$$

21. Feb 26, 2013 #20

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That doesn't look right at all. How can u appear twice in the result? This looks something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_derivative I think the result should be something more like $$\frac{du}{dt} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + (\frac{dr}{dt} \cdot \nabla)u$$.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted