Energy current for field satisfying KG equation

But I’m not entirely sure. Anyway, thanks!In summary, the energy current density corresponding to the energy density ##\mathcal{E} = \frac{1}{2} \left[ \phi_t^2 + c^2 (\nabla \phi)^2 + m^2 c^4 \phi^2 \right] = 0## is given by ##\vec{j} = -c^2 \phi_t \nabla \phi##, which can be shown using the product rule and vector calculus identities. This result is similar to the probability current in quantum mechanics.
etotheipi
Homework Statement
To find the energy current density ##\vec{j}## corresponding to the energy density ##\mathcal{E} = \frac{1}{2} \left[ \phi_t^2 + c^2 (\nabla \phi)^2 + m^2 c^4 \phi^2 \right] = 0##, where ##\phi## satisfies ##\phi_{tt} - c^2 \nabla^2 \phi + m^2 c^4 \phi = 0##
Relevant Equations
N/A
First to compute the time derivative of ##\mathcal{E}##,$$\mathcal{E}_t= \phi_t \phi_{tt} + c^2 (\nabla \phi_t) \cdot (\nabla \phi) + m^2 c^4 \phi \phi_t = \phi_t \left[ \phi_{tt} m^2 c^4 + \phi \right] + c^2 (\nabla \phi_t) \cdot (\nabla \phi)$$Then we switch out ##\phi_{tt} + m^2 c^4 \phi## for ##c^2 \nabla^2 \phi## as per the KG equation,$$\mathcal{E}_t = c^2 \left[\phi_t \nabla^2 \phi + (\nabla \phi_t) \cdot (\nabla \phi) \right]$$This must satisfy the continuity equation with zero sources or sinks, and so$$\nabla \cdot \vec{j} = - \mathcal{E}_t = - c^2 \left[\phi_t \nabla^2 \phi + (\nabla \phi_t) \cdot (\nabla \phi) \right]$$The RHS looks like it might be able to be cleaned up with a vector calculus identity or something, but I can't see it. Wondered if anyone had a hint? Thanks!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
Homework Statement:: To find the energy current density ##\vec{j}## corresponding to the energy density ##\mathcal{E} = \frac{1}{2} \left[ \phi_t^2 + c^2 (\nabla \phi)^2 + m^2 c^4 \phi^2 \right] = 0##, where ##\phi## satisfies ##\phi_{tt} - c^2 \nabla^2 \phi + m^2 c^4 \phi = 0##
Relevant Equations:: N/A

The RHS looks like it might be able to be cleaned up with a vector calculus identity or something, but I can't see it. Wondered if anyone had a hint?
Product rule?

Likes Delta2 and etotheipi
Ahh okay, I see it now looking at it a second time. It's going to be$$\phi_t \nabla^2 \phi + \nabla \phi_t \cdot \nabla \phi = \nabla \cdot (\phi_t \nabla \phi)$$We can prove this relation by looking at the components, starting from the RHS (and using the summation convention)$$\begin{align*}

\nabla \cdot (\phi_t \nabla \phi) = \partial_i (\phi_t \nabla \phi)_i &= \partial_i(\phi_t \vec{e}_j \partial_j \phi)_i \\

&= \partial_i (\phi_t \partial_i \phi) \\

&= (\partial_i \phi_t) (\partial_i \phi) + \phi_t \partial_i \partial_i \phi \\

&= (\partial_i \phi_t) \vec{e}_i \cdot (\partial_j \phi) \vec{e}_j + \phi_t \nabla^2 \phi \\

&= \nabla \phi_t \cdot \nabla \phi + \phi_t \nabla^2 \phi

\end{align*}$$So back to the actual question, we're left with$$\nabla \cdot \vec{j} = -c^2 \nabla \cdot (\phi_t \nabla \phi)$$which would suggest$$\vec{j} = -c^2 \phi_t \nabla \phi$$Does that look okay?

Likes Delta2
The math looks right. I admit, I’ve never seen that expression before, but field theory isn’t really my strong suit. It kind of looks like half of the probability current, which I guess makes sense?

Likes dx, Delta2 and (deleted member)

1. What is the KG equation?

The KG equation, or Klein-Gordon equation, is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spinless particles. It is a second-order partial differential equation that combines elements of both the Schrödinger equation and the relativistic energy-momentum relation.

2. How is energy current related to the KG equation?

The KG equation includes a conserved energy-momentum tensor, which can be used to define an energy current. This energy current describes the flow of energy associated with the solutions of the KG equation.

3. What is the physical significance of the energy current for field satisfying KG equation?

The energy current for field satisfying KG equation represents the flow of energy associated with the solutions of the KG equation. It is a fundamental quantity in understanding the behavior of spinless particles in a relativistic context.

4. How is the energy current calculated for a given field satisfying KG equation?

The energy current can be calculated using the conserved energy-momentum tensor of the KG equation. This tensor is defined in terms of the field and its derivatives, and can be evaluated at a specific point in space and time to determine the energy current at that point.

5. What are some applications of the energy current for field satisfying KG equation?

The energy current for field satisfying KG equation has applications in various fields, including quantum field theory, particle physics, and cosmology. It is used to study the behavior of spinless particles in a relativistic context and can provide insights into the fundamental properties of the universe.