Vector Expressions Homework: Evaluate 1-8

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating several expressions related to vectors and their derivatives, including the gradient, divergence, and Laplacian in different coordinate systems. The conversation includes a discussion of different approaches to solving the equations and the correct solutions for each coordinate system. The conversation ends with the confirmation that the solution for the spherical coordinate system is also incorrect.
Pual Black

Homework Statement

let ##\vec{r}## be a vector from origin to the point (x,y,z) and let ##{\vec{r}\,}'## be a vector from the origin to the point (x',y',z'). Evaluate the following expressions

##1. \triangledown r ##

##2.\triangledown\frac{1}{r}##

##3.\triangledown\cdot r##

##4.\triangledown\times r##

##5.\triangledown^{2} r##

##6.\triangledown^{2} \frac{1}{r}##

##7.\triangledown\frac{1}{\mid\vec{r}-{\vec{r}\,}'\mid}##

##8.\triangledown\frac{1}{{\mid\vec{r}-{\vec{r}\,}'\mid}^2}##

The attempt at a solution

i have added my solution for the first few equations. My problem is page 3 and page 4. I can't get the right answer.

Attachments

• Untitled.pdf
    452 KB · Views: 224
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, can you pick the one that's wrong ? 2 out of 3 say 3, so maybe the odd one out is the 'ccs'. What could be the problem here ?

Yes my problem is ##3.\triangledown\cdot r## in C.c.s. I don't know how to get 3 as result like R.c.s which is the correct answer.
and my solution for the S.c.s I am not sure if its correct. Its seems wrong.
I added the others so you can see how i solve the equations.

Well, the expressions in your thread under

Homework Equations

[/B]
don't help you much further at the moment :rolleyes:. I seem to remember quite different expressions for ##\nabla\cdot \vec A##. Could you check, e.g. here ?

Likes Pual Black
Thank you. You are great. I think i get it.
I have uploaded an image with the solution. Sorry that i don't use Latex but I am on mobile phone right now.
Is this correct?
image.jpeg

Well done. A few more exercises are waiting ... :smile:

Likes Pual Black
thank you again. Than my solution for spherical is also wrong. ( on page 4)

Indeed, the first two lines were some kind of inspiration ? After that, it looks pretty convincing !

Likes Pual Black

1. What are vector expressions?

Vector expressions are mathematical expressions that involve vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are typically represented by an arrow pointing in a specific direction with a specific length.

2. How do I evaluate a vector expression?

To evaluate a vector expression, you need to use basic vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. You also need to consider the direction and magnitude of the vectors involved in the expression.

3. What does it mean to evaluate a vector expression at 1-8?

Evaluating a vector expression at 1-8 means plugging in 1 and 8 as values for any variables in the expression and then simplifying the resulting expression. This will give you a numerical value for the vector expression at those specific values.

4. Can vector expressions be simplified?

Yes, vector expressions can be simplified using basic vector operations and mathematical rules. This can help make the expression easier to understand and work with.

5. Why is it important to evaluate vector expressions?

Evaluating vector expressions allows us to solve problems and make predictions using mathematical models. It also helps us understand and visualize the relationships between different vectors and their operations.