1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector field (rotors and nabla operators)

1. Jun 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find ##\alpha ## and ##p## so that ##\nabla \times \vec{A}=0## and ##\nabla \cdot \vec{A}=0##, where in ##\vec{A}=r^{-p}[\vec{n}(\vec{n}\vec{r})-\alpha n^2\vec{r}]## vector ##\vec{n}## is constant.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

##\nabla \times \vec{A}=0##

##\nabla \times \vec{A}=\nabla \times [r^{-p}\vec{n}(\vec{n}\vec{r})-r^{-p}\alpha n^2\vec{r}]=##
    ##=r^{-p}(\vec{r}\vec{n})\nabla \times \vec{n}+\nabla(r^{-p}(\vec{r}\vec{n}))\times \vec{n}-r^{-p}\alpha n^2\nabla \times \vec{r}-\nabla(r^{-p}\alpha n^2)\times \vec{r}=##
    ##=0+[(\vec{r}\vec{n})\nabla r^{-p}+\nabla(\vec{r}\vec{n})r^{-p}]\times \vec{n}-0-[r^{-p}\alpha n^2\nabla \times \vec{r}+\alpha n^2\nabla r^{-p}\times \vec{r}]=##
    ##=(\vec{r}\vec{n})(-p)r^{-p-2}\vec{r}\times \vec{n}##

##\nabla \cdot \vec{A}=0##

##\nabla \cdot \vec{A}=\nabla [r^{-p}\vec{n}(\vec{n}\vec{r})-r^{-p}\alpha n^2\vec{r}]=##
    ##=\nabla (r^{-p}(\vec{n}\vec{r}))\vec{n}-r^{-p}\alpha n^2\nabla \vec{r}-\nabla(r^{-p}\alpha n^2)\vec{r}=##
    ##=(r^{-p}\vec{n}-pr^{-p-2}(\vec{r}\vec{n})\vec{r})\vec{n}-3\alpha n^2 r^{-p}+p\alpha n^2r^{-p-1}##

I know something is wrong, I just don't know what and where :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2014 #2
    Does this mean that from ##\nabla \times \vec{A}=0## we know that ##p=0## and accordingly from the second equation that ##\alpha =-\frac{1}{3n}## ?

4. Jun 16, 2014 #3
    There should be a factor of 3 in the first term and the last term should have ##r^{-p}## instead of ##r^{-p-1}##.

I think you are correct about ##p=0##.

5. Jun 16, 2014 #4
    hmmm.

First term only:

##\nabla r^{-p}(\vec{n}\vec{r})\vec{n}=##
    ##=r^{-p}(\vec{n}\vec{r})\nabla\vec{n}+(\nabla r^{-p}(\vec{n}\vec{r}))\vec{n}=##
    ##=0+[(\vec{n}\vec{r})\nabla r^{-p}+(\nabla(\vec{n}\vec{r}))r^{-p}]\vec{n}=##
    ##=[-p(\vec{n}\vec{r})r^{-p-1}\frac{\vec{r}}{r}+r^{-p}\vec{n}]\vec{n}=##
    ##=-pr^{-p-2}(\vec{n}\vec{r})^2+r^{-p}n##

I don't know where would factor 3 come from?

6. Jun 16, 2014 #5
    I meant that it should be ##3r^{-p}n^2## instead of ##r^{-p}n^2##. How do you get ##r^{-p}n^2##?

7. Jun 16, 2014 #6
    Well

##\nabla(\vec{r}\vec{n})=\vec{n}##

##\vec{n}r^{-p}## and finally ##\vec{n}^2r^{-p}=n^2r^{-p}##

8. Jun 16, 2014 #7
    No, this is not correct. How do you conclude this?

9. Jun 16, 2014 #8
    ##\nabla(\vec{n}\vec{r})=\nabla(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z)=(\frac{\partial }{\partial x}(xn_x),\frac{\partial }{\partial y}(yn_y),\frac{\partial }{\partial z}(zn_z))=(n_x,n_y,n_z)=\vec{n}##

is it not?

10. Jun 16, 2014 #9
    Weird. I was about to correct you because you seem to consider each term as a vector component, but when I wrote the thing down it resulted in the exact same thing :P

[tex]\nabla(\vec{n}.\vec{r})= \nabla(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z)=\left( \frac{\partial }{\partial x}(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z),\frac{\partial }{\partial y}(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z),\frac{\partial }{\partial z}(xn_x+yn_y+zn_z) \right)=(n_x,n_y,n_z)=\vec{n}[/tex]

11. Jun 16, 2014 #10
    I was a bit lazy and didn't write terms that disappear after derivation. :)

12. Jun 16, 2014 #11

Hmm.....that looks correct although the following identity I found on wiki doesn't seem to agree.

$$\nabla (\vec{f}\cdot \vec{g})=(\vec{f}\cdot \nabla)\vec{g}+(\vec{g}\cdot \nabla)\vec{f}+\vec{f}\times(\nabla \times \vec{g})+\vec{g}\times(\nabla \times \vec{f})$$

In the prsent case, ##\vec{f}=\vec{n}## and ##\vec{g}=\vec{r}##. Three terms in the above identity are zero and ##\nabla\cdot r=3## and this gives the factor of 3. Any idea what's wrong with the above?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus_identities

13. Jun 16, 2014 #12

CAF123

Gold Member

The first term is the only non-vanishing term. ##\nabla \cdot r \neq r \cdot \nabla##. The first is a scalar (divergence of r) and the latter is a differential operator.

14. Jun 16, 2014 #13
    Thanks CAF!

I haven't yet seen that in the book I am currently following. How do you calculate ##\vec{r}\cdot \nabla##? (Sorry if this is an idiotic question, I have only a 2-days experience with vector calculus :tongue: )

15. Jun 16, 2014 #14
    I made this calculation here breaking into components and I got the same result. [itex]p=0[/itex] and [itex]\alpha =1/3[/itex]. How do you know this is wrong?

edit: excuse my blindness, that's not the result you found.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  16. Jun 16, 2014 #15
    Mainly because I got ##\alpha =-\frac{1}{3n}## and you haven't.

No other reason actually. I just doubt that I did right.

17. Jun 16, 2014 #16
    Nonononononono!

I have a sign error in my notes. You are right, I also get ##\alpha = \frac 1 3 ##

18. Jun 16, 2014 #17
    This problem has one more question I have no idea how to answer:

How can scalar potential of this vector field with calculated ##p## and ##\alpha ## be written?

19. Jun 16, 2014 #18

CAF123

Gold Member

$$\vec r \cdot \nabla = (xe_x + ye_y + ze_z) \cdot \left\{e_x\frac{\partial}{\partial x} + e_y\frac{\partial}{\partial y} + e_z\frac{\partial}{\partial z} \right\}$$ Then doing the dot product gives $$x \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + y \frac{\partial}{\partial y} + z \frac{\partial}{\partial z}$$ which vanishes when acted on a constant vector. So I do not mean to say ##\vec r \cdot \nabla## vanishes identically.

20. Jun 16, 2014 #19
    Understood, thanks a lot! :smile:

21. Jun 16, 2014 #20
    I assume you mean finding [itex]\varphi[/itex] from the definition
    [tex]-\nabla \varphi = \vec A [/tex]

I don't remember any elegant way of solving this besides solving three (or even less) integral equations like [itex]-\frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial x} = A_x \Rightarrow \varphi = \int dx A_x[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted