Vector line integral notation.

• Thread starter Craptola
  • Start date
Hey, I'm studying for a physics degree and have a general curiosity about vector calculus. Having learned about surface and line integrals for scalar functions in multivariable calculus I've been having some issues translating them into vector calculus. Though conceptually I haven't had much trouble yet I find myself struggling to interpret some notation.

My main concern concerns have been with [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex] (I've sometimes seen it written [itex]\vec{dr}[/itex]) and [itex]\vec{ds}[/itex]. I've encountered [itex]dl[/itex] as a scalar when doing line integrals but not as a vector. After much searching I was able to discover that the vector [itex]\vec{ds}[/itex] is equal to [itex]ds\mathbf{\hat{n}}[/itex] where n is the unit vector normal to the surface. But I've still not been able to find such a definition for [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex]. I would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on what this actually is.

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Hmm, can you give an example of a line integral where you didn't have something like ##d\vec{l}## or ##d\vec{r}##?

There's nothing too mysterious going on here: ##d\vec{r} = dx\,\hat{i} + dy\,\hat{j} + dz\,\hat{k}##. If you have a vector field ##\vec{F} = F_x\,\hat{i} + F_y\,\hat{j} + F_z\,\hat{k}##, then you get ##\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = F_x\,dx + F_y\,dy + F_z\,dz##

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hey, I'm studying for a physics degree and have a general curiosity about vector calculus. Having learned about surface and line integrals for scalar functions in multivariable calculus I've been having some issues translating them into vector calculus. Though conceptually I haven't had much trouble yet I find myself struggling to interpret some notation.

My main concern concerns have been with [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex] (I've sometimes seen it written [itex]\vec{dr}[/itex]) and [itex]\vec{ds}[/itex].

Suppose you have a force field ##\vec F(x,y,z)## and a curve parameterized by ##\vec r(t) =\langle x(t),y(t),z(t)\rangle,\ a\le t \le b##. Since ##\frac {d\vec r}{dt}## is parallel to the curve, if you want to calculate the work done by the force moving along the curve you would calculate the integral$$
W=\int_a^b \vec F(x(t),y(t),z(t))\cdot \frac{d\vec r}{dt}\, dt
=\int_a^b \vec F(x(t),y(t),z(t))\cdot \langle \frac{dx}{dt},\frac {dy}{dt}\frac{dz}{dt}\rangle\, dt$$
This is sometimes written in the differential form, using ##\frac{d\vec r}{dt}dt=d\vec r## and ##\frac{dx}{dt}dt = dx## etc, as ##\int_C\vec F \cdot d\vec r##. You can think of ##d\vec r = \langle dx, dy,dz\rangle##. Whatever notation you use, remember that it means ##\int_a^b\vec F \cdot \frac {d\vec r}{dt}\, dt##.
I've encountered [itex]dl[/itex] as a scalar when doing line integrals but not as a vector. After much searching I was able to discover that the vector [itex]\vec{ds}[/itex] is equal to [itex]ds\mathbf{\hat{n}}[/itex] where n is the unit vector normal to the surface. But I've still not been able to find such a definition for [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex]. I would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on what this actually is.

For surface integrals, it is a good idea to use capital "##S##" as in ##d\vec S = \hat n\cdot dS## so as not to confuse arc length notation with surface area notation.

Hmm, can you give an example of a line integral where you didn't have something like ##d\vec{l}## or ##d\vec{r}##?

There's nothing too mysterious going on here: ##d\vec{r} = dx\,\hat{i} + dy\,\hat{j} + dz\,\hat{k}##. If you have a vector field ##\vec{F} = F_x\,\hat{i} + F_y\,\hat{j} + F_z\,\hat{k}##, then you get ##\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = F_x\,dx + F_y\,dy + F_z\,dz##

One of the example questions I have is.
Evaluate [itex]\oint \vec{a}\cdot \vec{dl} [/itex] around the circle [itex]x^{2} +y^{2}=b^{2}[/itex] for [itex]\vec{a}=\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}}[/itex]. Where r has its usual meaning is spherical polars.

It's nothing complicated I was just never taught what [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex] actually is when represented as a vector, and can't find it anywhere in my notes.

My first instinct was to assume that since [itex]\vec{ds}[/itex] is just [itex]ds\mathbf{\hat{n}}[/itex] then [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex] would just be a scalar line element (which in polars I figured would be [itex]rd\phi[/itex]) multiplied by a vector normal to the contour, ie [itex]\mathbf{\hat{r}}[/itex] but after I did the line integral I tried to verify it using stokes theorem only to find that the curl of a is zero. I'm almost certain this is because of the assumption I made on the definition of the vector dl.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
You can think of it similarly to ##d\vec{S}## except that ##d\vec{l}## is tangent, not normal, to the contour and has magnitude ds. It's a little piece of the contour.