Vector lines, ratio of vector lines

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mid-point of a line segment and determining the position of a point along that line segment. The equation of the line is given as (1,0,-1)+λ(3,-3,3) and the point N is found to be 2/3 of the way from A to C, closer to C than A.
thoradicus
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Mathematics%20%289709%29/9709_w09_qp_31.pdf

Homework Statement

6i

Homework Equations

r=a+λb

The Attempt at a Solution

first i find AB which is (2,2,-2)
the equation if line is then (1,0,-1)+λ(2,2,-2)
i made it so that λ is 0.5, which then OM is (2,1,-2), as its the mid point.

i found AC to be (3,-3,3)

the equation of AC is (1,0,-1)+λ(3,-3,3)
which then i made lambda to be 1/3...but is this the right working? i did that and i can't get the awnser.

Physics news on Phys.org
N is 2/3 of the way from A to C so is closer to C than A. Take [itex]\lambda= 2/3[/itex], not 1/3.

gah, didnt notice that. I am such an idiot >< thanks alot.

1. What are vector lines?

Vector lines are lines that represent the magnitude and direction of a vector. They are used in mathematics and physics to visually represent vector quantities.

2. How do you calculate the ratio of vector lines?

The ratio of vector lines can be calculated by dividing the length of one vector line by the length of another vector line. This ratio can also be expressed as a fraction or decimal.

3. What is the significance of vector line ratios?

The ratio of vector lines can indicate the relative magnitude and direction of two vector quantities. It can also be used to compare the strength or size of different vectors.

4. Can vector line ratios be negative?

Yes, vector line ratios can be negative. This means that the two vectors are in opposite directions and have opposite magnitudes.

5. How are vector line ratios used in real-world applications?

Vector line ratios are commonly used in physics, engineering, and navigation. They can help determine the velocity, acceleration, and forces acting on an object.