1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Nature pf Projectile Motion

1. Nov 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If an object had been projected horizontally with the same magnitude as in the depicted situation, how would the motion compare with that of the object in the diagram? (I have drawn the diagram in my attachment and have done questions c and d but I don't understand question b at all... could someone explain this to me as well as see if my explanations for the other two questions make sense?)
    2. Relevant equations
    No equations, just knowledge of projectiles

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first wrote: that x component would increase gradually if it was thrown in a horizontal direction but that is inaccurate.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Maths is the language of physics - so you can express "knowledge of projectiles" in terms of equations.
    However, this assignment seems to be qualitative in nature... you just have to understand the motion.

In the attachment:
    The diagram shows a parabolic trajectory for an object projected with initial speed ##v## at angle ##\theta >0## above the horizontal.
    Part (b) asks about how the trajectory will be different if ##\theta = 0##.
    So get a scrap of paper and sketch what you think will happen.
    If you are uncertain, get an object and throw it at different angles and watch how it moves.

4. Nov 21, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just be a little careful.. You have used Vy at both point X and point Y. A fussy examiner might point out that only Vx is the same at both points.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted