1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector potential with current density

1. Dec 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey,
    I got the current density [itex]\vec{j}=\frac{Q}{4\pi R^2}\delta(r-R)\vec{\omega}\times\vec{r}[/itex] and now I should calculate the vector potential:
    \vec{A}(\vec{r})=\frac{1}{4\pi}\int\frac{j(\vec{r})}{|r-r'|}.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    here my attempt till now:
    http://phymat.de/physics.png [Broken]
    I'm really not sure how to go on now. Is this right what I wrote there?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the second equation of the notes, should the vector r in the numerator have a prime?

[EDIT: Also, do [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] refer to the unprimed position or the primed position?]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  4. Dec 14, 2012 #3
    Hi,

thanks for your answer. I think they should all have primes.

Edit: I should only calculate the potential A(r) on the z-axis (for r=z e_z). But I dont know how this can be helpful.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  5. Dec 14, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ahh. If ##\vec{\omega}## is also along the z-axis, then life is looking Wunderbar!

6. Dec 15, 2012 #5
    Hi, thanks,
    Yes Omega is also along the z-Axis, but I don't know how this could help me. Didn't I have to solve the integral first?

7. Dec 15, 2012 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think so. You can get the answer from symmetry considerations. Note that the current ##\vec{j}(r') d^3r'## in a small volume element makes an infinitesitmal contribution to the vector potential at ##r## of amount ##d\vec{A}(r)##, and ##d\vec{A}(r)## has the same direction as ##\vec{j}(r')##.

Do you see that each nonzero value of ##\vec{j}(r') d^3r'## is parallel to the xy plane? So, the total value of ##\vec{A}(r)## must be parallel to the xy plane at any observation point ##r##.

For this problem the observation point is at some z on the z-axis. Note that the current distribution ##\vec{j}(r')## is axially symmetric about the z axis. So ##\vec{A}(z)## would have to point perpendicular to the z-axis and yet be rotationally invariant about the z-axis. There is only one possibility for the value of ##\vec{A}## at z.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook