Vector space dimension question

In summary, we are looking for a linear transformation, T:M^{R}_{2x2} \rightarrow R^4, that satisfies ker(T)=0. We will find an isomorphism from T[a,b;c,d] to (a,b,c,d) if and only if T is a linear transformation and ker(T)=0.
P-Jay1
Prove that the space of 2×2 real matrices forms a vector space of dimension 4 over
R. [12]

Im unsure, anyone any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understood right, we have to find an isomorphism from [itex]M^{R}_{2x2}[/itex] to [itex]R^4[/itex].

In other word, we need to find a linear transformation, [itex]T:M^{R}_{2x2} \rightarrow R^4[/itex] that [itex]ker(T)=0[/itex].

HINT: look at T[a,b;c,d]=(a,b,c,d)

What's your book's definition of "dimension 4". I use the definition that says that a vector space is 4-dimensional if it contains a linearly independent set with 4 members, but no linearly independent set with 5 members. So to solve your problem, I would find a set of 4 linearly independent matrices and prove that every matrix is a linear combination of those four.

So what does ker(T) stand for? I am still really clueless. So do I find an isomorphism from T[a,b;c,d] to (a,b,c,d)?

P-Jay1 said:
So what does ker(T) stand for? I am still really clueless. So do I find an isomorphism from T[a,b;c,d] to (a,b,c,d)?
ker T is the set of all x such that Tx=0. Finding that isomorphism is one way to do it, but not the only one. Edit: Wait, you said "from T[a,b;c,d]". I don't know what you mean by that. I meant that one way to solve the problem is to find an isomorphism from the set of 2×2 matrices to ℝ4.

Fredrik said:
ker T is the set of all x such that Tx=0. Finding that isomorphism is one way to do it, but not the only one. Edit: Wait, you said "from T[a,b;c,d]". I don't know what you mean by that. I meant that one way to solve the problem is to find an isomorphism from the set of 2×2 matrices to ℝ4.

I guess I wasn't much clear. What I meant is that T takes a matrix [a,b;c,d] and gives a vector (a,b,c,d). Actually, I think that this is what he has meant.

A = (a b c d)

A = a (1 0 0 0) + b (0 1 0 0) + c (0 0 1 0) + d (0 0 0 1)

Please excuse my lack of ability to lay this out correctly but each of these in brackets have 2 rows and 2 columns i.e 2 x 2. not 1 x4

a,b... Eℝ is a vector space over ℝ

Is this the correct approach?

it seems like you know the answer but don't know how to do this.
so first of all, let's state that "in order to prove that the space of 2×2 real matrices forms a vector space of dimension 4 over R. we will define an isomorphism from 2x2 real matrices space to R4". Later, we will say. "lets take a look at the following transformation T:M2x2->R4, T([a,b;c,d])=(a,b,c,d)"
now, what is left to do is to show that it is linear transformation and that it is a isomorphism.

regarding the linear transformation, it's not a big deal. i am sure you can handle it by yourself.
to show that T is isomorphism we need to prove that T is a linear transformation and ker(T)=0 or im(T)=4.

to do that - we need to know first what im(T) is equal. if we take a base of one space and we transform it using T we will get the base of the other space we are transforming to. so let's take the standard base of M_2x2(R). { [1,0;0,0], [0,1;0,0], [0,0;1,0], [0,0;0,1]}. from what we have defined before:
T([1,0;0,0])=(1,0,0,0); T([0,1;0,0])=(0,1,0,0) ... T([0,0;0,1])=(0,0,0,1).
in other terms, imT(M_2x2(R) ) = sp{(1,0,0,0),...,(0,0,0,1)}, but the set {(1,0,0,0)...(0,0,0,1)} is the standard base of R4 thus dim(imT)=4. so in conclusion, T is an isomorphism, and we proved what we have asked for.

Last edited:
Any 2 by 2 matrix is of the form
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}= a\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}+ b\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}+ c\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}+ d\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
The most "basic" definition of "dimension" is that it is the number of vectors in any space. It is easy to see that these four matrices are a basis.

Or, if as Boaz does, you wish to find an isomorphism,
[tex]f\left(\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}\right)= (a, b, c, d)[/tex]
works nicely.

What is a vector space dimension?

A vector space dimension refers to the number of linearly independent vectors needed to span a given vector space.

How do you find the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space can be found by determining the number of vectors in a basis for the vector space. A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the vector space.

Why is the dimension of a vector space important?

The dimension of a vector space is important because it helps to describe the size and complexity of the vector space. It also plays a crucial role in determining the number of solutions to a system of linear equations.

Can the dimension of a vector space change?

No, the dimension of a vector space is a fundamental property of the space and cannot change. However, the dimension of a subspace of a vector space may be smaller than the dimension of the original vector space.

Are there different types of vector space dimensions?

Yes, there are two types of vector space dimensions: finite and infinite. A finite vector space has a finite number of vectors in its basis, while an infinite vector space has an infinite number of vectors in its basis.