Proof: S is a Subspace of Vector Space V

In summary: There is one vector that S can exclude yet still retain it's subset status. Think of the definition of a vector space. Then it is false. There is one vector that S can exclude yet still retain it's subset status. Think of the definition of a vector space.
Dustinsfl
If [tex]S\subseteq V[/tex] and V is a vector space, then S is a vector space.

Assume S isn't a vector space. Since S isn't a vector space, then V isn't a vector space; however, V is a vector space. By contradiction, S is a subspace.

Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since S isn't a vector space, then V isn't a vector space

Why is this true?

Suppose V = R3 and S = {(x, y, z)| x + y - 2z = 3}. S is clearly a subset of V, but is S a subspace of V?

VeeEight said:
Why is this true?

I said assume S isn't a vector space.

We have [tex]P\rightarrow Q\equiv P\and\sim Q[/tex]

I don't know why the latex is looking messed up but that is supposed to say P and not Q is equivalent to P implies Q

Mark44 said:
Which one is A? You started out with S and V.

I meant S.

P ==> Q <===> ~P ==> ~Q
but you haven't shown that, given that S isn't a subspace, somehow this implies that V is not a subspace. In other words, if S is not a subspace, why does it necessarily follow that V is not a subspace? In fact, you are really concluding the opposite.

I think you are mixing up a proof by the contrapositive with a proof by contradiction.

See post #3.

I was using de morgan's laws which says p implies q is equiv to ~p or q which is equiv to p and ~ q.

That is why I assumed q (S isn't a vector space).

Based on your original post, here are P and Q.
P: [itex]S\subseteq V[/itex] and V is a vector space
Q: S is a vector space

Forget deMorgan - look at post #3.

Dustinsfl said:
If [tex]S\subseteq V[/tex] and V is a vector space, then S is a vector space.

Assume S isn't a vector space. Since S isn't a vector space, then V isn't a vector space; however, V is a vector space. By contradiction, S is a subspace.

Correct?

I don't know if this way change anything but it should be worded like so:

If [tex]S\subseteq V[/tex] of a vector space V, then S is a vector space.

Take Mark's counterexample (or some other counterexample you can think of), that is the best approach.

VeeEight said:
Take Mark's counterexample (or some other counterexample you can think of), that is the best approach.

The answer is supposed to be true so taking a counterexample seems counter-intuitive.

S is defined as an improper subset of V; so if V is a vector space, S must be as well.

Squeezebox said:
S is defined as an improper subset of V; so if V is a vector space, S must be as well.

For all we know, it could be a proper subset too. That was just the notation I used.

Dustinsfl said:
For all we know, it could be a proper subset too. That was just the notation I used.

Then it is false. There is one vector that S can exclude yet still retain it's subset status. Think of the definition of a vector space.

Squeezebox said:
Then it is false. There is one vector that S can exclude yet still retain it's subset status. Think of the definition of a vector space.

Look at post #3, which has been said a few times now.

Dustinsfl said:
The answer is supposed to be true so taking a counterexample seems counter-intuitive.

The answer was true so I am not to sure about finding a counterexample as being the correct method.

But a counterexample *does* exist. Therefore, the statement is false (assuming it was meant to be universally true). The statement is true if and only if S also satisfies the closure axioms of a vector space under the operations of addition and multiplication as defined by V (assuming S is a nonempty subset of V).

Last edited:
Squeezebox said:
Not true. Not all subsets of vector spaces are themselves subspaces. Here's another example, with V = R2. Let S = {(x, y} | y = 1}.
[itex]S~\subseteq V[/itex], and V is a vector space, but S is not a subspace.

Mark44 said:
Not true. Not all subsets of vector spaces are themselves subspaces. Here's another example, with V = R2. Let S = {(x, y} | y = 1}.
[itex]S~\subseteq V[/itex], and V is a vector space, but S is not a subspace.

I said S was an improper subset.

Squeezebox said:
Where was "S defined as an improper subset of V"?

Squeezebox said:

Dustinsfl said:

Squeezebox said:

There you go guys. I said it was improper because of the notation, then I took it back. Sorry to offend you guys by saying something stupid.

No offense taken, just trying to clear up incorrect information. In this problem it doesn't matter whether it said [itex]S \subset V[/itex] or [itex]S \subsetex V[/itex]. The latter notation means "S is a subset of V or is equal to V." S can still be a proper subset of V without contradicting this statement.

What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the properties of a vector space. This means that it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

How do you prove that S is a subspace of vector space V?

To prove that S is a subspace, you need to show that it satisfies the three properties of a vector space: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and containing the zero vector. This can be done by using the definitions of these properties and showing that they hold for all elements in S.

What is the importance of proving that S is a subspace of vector space V?

Proving that S is a subspace of vector space V is important because it allows us to use the properties of a vector space in S. This can help us to solve problems and make calculations easier.

Can a subspace of vector space V be empty?

Yes, a subspace of vector space V can be empty. This means that it contains no elements and is equal to the zero vector. It still satisfies the properties of a vector space and is considered a valid subspace.

What is the difference between a subspace and a subset?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the properties of a vector space. This means that it is a specific type of subset that has additional properties. A subset, on the other hand, simply refers to any set that is contained within another set.