1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector spaces and spanning sets

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Knowing this set spans M22:

[1 , 0] , [0 , 1] , [0 , 0] ,[0 , 0]
    [0 , 0] , [0 , 0] , [1 , 0] ,[0 , 1]

What is another spanning set for this vector space? Justify your choice by showing that it is a linearly independent set.

3. The attempt at a solution

[2 , 0] , [0 , 2] , [0 , 0] ,[0 , 0]
    [0 , 0] , [0 , 0] , [2 , 0] ,[0 , 2]

I am I on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This question is not well worded, IMO. You could add any old 2x2 matrix to the original set and still have a spanning set, but the new set would not be linearly independent, which is not a requirement of a spanning set. This is, however, a requirement of a minimal spanning set, which is the same as a basis.

Your set of matrices is also a spanning set. To convince yourself of this show that any matrix M in M22 can be written as a linear combination of the elements in your set. I.e., c1*M1 + c2*M2 + c3*M3 + c4*M4 = M, where the Mi's are the matrices in your set.

To show that your set of matrices is linearly independent, show that the equation
    c1*M1 + c2*M2 + c3*M3 + c4*M4 = 0 has exactly one solution: c1 = c2 = c3 = c4 = 0.

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook